Inverness CT 1 - 1 Forres Mechanics

North Cup - Rd 1
Saturday, March 14th, 1998, 3:00 PM at Broadwood Stadium
Attendance: 766
Referee: S Kaney
Inverness CT  Forres Mechanics

None. None.

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Unknown.

Starting Eleven


None. None.

This was a good performance by Caley Jags but not a vintage one. Clyde should have taken the lead in the second minute when Alistair Graham was clear 20 yards out but shot past the post. In 13 minutes bustling play by Scott McLean forced a corner and this led to a goalmouth scramble before the Clyde defence cleared. In 22 minutes Ross Tokely strode down the right and sent over a superb cross to the back post. It soared over ‘keeper Mark Mclean and Thomson headed home. Five minutes later it was 2-0. Barry Robson sent a low ball along the 18 yard line from the left and Barry Wilson’s first time shot was deflected past McLean. In the dying seconds of the half Thomson won the ball in the box and pushed it out to Sheerin on the right wing. He sent in a hanging lob which completely deceived McLean and landed in the net. 30 seconds into the second half Scott McLean seized on a bad clearance by the Clyde ‘keeper and he unselfishly passed it to Sandy Robertson but he mishit. Clyde then had a good spell, spoiled by bad finishing. In 48 minutes McGraw hit it from 15 yards straight at Calder and a minute later Graham had a golden chance when the ball fell at his feet in the area but he mishit. Scott McLean’s efforts were rewarded when he scored the fourth in 66 minutes. Robson made a run down the left and passed it to McLean inside the box with his back to goal – he half turned then hit it into the Clyde goal from a difficult angle. Three minutes later Clyde were literally handed a lifeline. A Cameron shot from 25 yards bounced off Mark McCulloch and the referee ruled that it had touched his hand. John McStay gave Calder no chance from the penalty. On the 83 minute mark Thomson scored his second when Tokely sent an accurate ball through from midfield. Thomson looked suspiciously offside but he raced on, dribbled past McLean and walked the ball into the net. With 5 minutes left the rout was complete after a Sheerin pass from midfield set up Iain Stewart. He sprinted forward and stroked it past McLean. The score of 6-1 equalled the league record for Caley Thistle but it was rather flattering. Clyde knew they had been well beaten but it would have been closer if their strikers had been on form.