Celtic 1 - 3 Inverness CT

Scottish Cup - Round 3
Tuesday, February 8th, 2000, 3:00 PM at Parkhead, Glasgow
Attendance: 34,389
Referee: D McDonald
Celtic Inverness CT

Mark Burchill (17) Barry Wilson (16)
Moravcik (o.g.) (24)
Paul Sheerin (pen.) (57)

Team Managers
John Barnes Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
Jonathon Gould
Tom Boyd
Oliver Tebily
Stephan Mahe
Vidar Riseth
Colin Healy
Regi Blinker
Lubo Moravcik
Eyal Berkovic
Mark Viduka
Mark Birchill
Jim Calder
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Mark McCulloch
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Paul Sheerin
Dennis Wyness

Ian Wright
Stewart Kerr
Bobby Petta
Kevin Byers
Martin Bavidge
Martin Glancy

Ian Wright -> Mark Viduka (46) Martin Bavidge for Dennis Wyness (79)
Martin Glancy for Barry Wilson (87)
Kevin Byers for Ross Tokely (89)

O Tebily
C Healy
I Wright
Ross Tokely

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 145 apps -
Stuart Golabek 28 apps1 goal
Ross Tokely 107 apps6 goals
Richard Hastings 185 apps2 goals
Bobby Mann 35 apps -
Mark McCulloch 105 apps7 goals
Mike Teasdale 168 apps15 goals
Barry Wilson 142 apps41 goals
Paul Sheerin 92 apps32 goals
Charlie Christie 188 apps27 goals
Dennis Wyness 18 apps1 goal
Kevin Byers (sub) 26 apps2 goals
Martin Glancy (sub) 35 apps7 goals
Martin Bavidge (sub) 36 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (20 years 342 days)
Oldest Player:Stuart Golabek (2001 years 190 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 117 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (20 years 342 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2001 years 190 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 117 days
Domestic Players:13 (92.86 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A stunning night for Caley Thistle as they achieved an historic victory at Celtic Park. The team played its heart out against a mediocre Celtic side and thoroughly deserved the 3-1 win. Nine days before there had been deep disappointment as 4000 fans travelled south only to find the game postponed because of storm damage to the newly-built Lisbon Lions stand. The same fans came back and were well rewarded. The Press dubbed this the greatest shock in Scottish football since Berwick beat Rangers in 1967. Celtic started with flair and created a number of chances but the defence held firm. In 16 minutes Caley Thistle stunned the home fans when they took a one goal lead, a glancing Barry Wilson header after a precision cross from Paul Sheerin. Celtic went straight up the field and scored through Mark Burchill and many thought Caley Thistle's moment of glory had passed but they were wrong. In the 24th minute Bobby Mann headed a Sheerin corner goalwards and it was deflected past Jonathan Gould by Lubo Moravcik. Celtic fought hard for an equaliser but the defence matched every effort and Jim Calder made some outstanding saves. The early part of the second half was expected to be all Celtic but the onslaught did not happen and the home camp realised that victory was a strong possibility. In 57 minutes Regi Blinker hauled Wilson down in the box and Sheerin sent Gould the wrong way with the penalty to make it 3-1. It was uphill for Celtic after that and they became more and more frustrated. Caley Thistle continued to defend well and to create a number of good attacking moves. Charlie Christie ran the midfield and was named Man of the Match. Substitutes Martin Glancy and Martin Bavidge combined to set up a good chance close to the end but indecision as to who was to shoot allowed the Celtic defence to clear. By this time thousands of home fans had walked out and Caley Thistle ran out clear winners. The remaining Celtic fans sportingly applauded the Caley Thistle players and fans but turned their wrath on their own team. Caley Thistle now look forward to a 4th Round home tie against Aberdeen and live Sky TV coverage.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot