Inverness CT 0 - 2 Celtic

League Match
Wednesday, March 16th, 2005, 7:45 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 7,045
Referee: Hugh Dallas
Inverness CT  Celtic

None. Bellamy (63)
Thompson (pen)(84)

Team Managers
Craig Brewster Martin O'Neil

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
Graham Bayne
Juanjo Carricondo

Michael Fraser
Richard Hastings
Stuart McCaffrey
David Proctor
Ian Black
Bryan Prunty
Bajram Fetai

Bryan Prunty for Juanjo Carricondo (71)
Bajram Fetai for Graham Bayne (77)
Ian Black for Russell Duncan (89)
Beattie -> Hartson (79)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 124 apps -
Grant Munro 121 apps2 goals
Stuart Golabek 199 apps5 goals
Darren Dods 21 apps1 goal
Ross Tokely 313 apps22 goals
Roy McBain 197 apps10 goals
Russell Duncan 144 apps3 goals
Barry Wilson 222 apps68 goals
Richie Hart 96 apps14 goals
Juanjo Carricondo 32 apps6 goals
Graham Bayne 33 apps6 goals
Ian Black (sub) 6 apps -
Bajram Fetai (sub) 6 apps -
Bryan Prunty (sub) 21 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (26 years 15 days)
Oldest Player:Juanjo Carricondo (2006 years 228 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 209 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Proctor (21 years 16 days)
Oldest Player:Bryan Prunty (2006 years 228 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 3 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Caley Thistle's fine unbeaten run ended with defeat at the hands of Celtic. The match was played in front of a record attendance and, despite the result, the home side put up an excellent show.

A niggling knee injury kept Craig Brewster out of the ICT side and Graham Bayne took his place. Unlike the famous cup match in Inverness two years ago Celtic were at full strength.

Roy McBain shot low from long range in just 26 seconds but Douglas collected easily. A John Hartson 25 yard shot was deflected past in two minutes then Stilian Petrov headed over in nine minutes. Douglas took a Richie Hart cross high at the other end then he also caught a rising Barry Wilson free kick.

Despite pressure Celtic could not find the target as first Craig Bellamy headed over in 19 minutes then Hartson headed wide. A neat ICT move in 34 minutes was engineered by Darren Dods. The big defender ventured upfield, played a one-two with Roy McBain then crossed from the right; it strayed towards the corner flag and Bayne's cross back into the box was cleared.

Two minutes later Dods headed downwards but wide after a Hart corner. The home defence repelled all danger and there was no score at the interval.

Half Time: 0-0

In 49 minutes Alan Thompson came very close with a 20 yard free kick but it was tipped onto the top of the bar by Mark Brown and cleared.. Bellamy raced past three defenders on the hour mark but his 20 yard low shot was smothered by Brown. Three minutes later the Bellamy/Aiden McGeady double act created a decisive goal but not before Wilson hit two 25 yard shots in succession at Douglas' goal, one high and one wide.

Bellamy's goal started when he won possession in midfield, passed to McGeady then took the return wide of goal on the right. He sent an angled ball between Brown and the near post for 1-0. Bellamy then shot inches wide with the Celtic fans already on their feet celebrating. In the push for a second goal Bellamy shot over, a Bobo Balde header was cleared by Grant Munro, Dods took the ball off the feet of Hartson and a Petrov shot was held by Brown.

There were glimmers of hope when Caley Thistle attacked but nothing came off. Douglas did have to be alert to take a Stuart Golabek high cross in 73 minutes then he smothered the ball at Bayne's feet. It was all over in 84 minutes when Tokely was adjudged to have fouled Bellamy in the box and Thompson made his usual fine job of the penalty.

A Thompson free kick into the box a minute from time was headed clear then a Hart run was halted when he passed two men and used a hand to assist passing the third.

Full Time: 0-2

The whistle went and the visitors were content with their well-deserved 2-0 victory. ICT heads were held high but it was a sign of the times that all felt bitterly disappointed.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Rangers 30 23 6 1 63 14 49 75
2. Celtic 29 24 2 3 67 22 45 74
3. Aberdeen 29 14 6 9 33 26 7 48
4. Hibernian 29 14 5 10 47 42 5 47
5. Hearts 29 11 9 9 32 28 4 42
6. Motherwell 29 11 6 12 35 35 0 39
7. Kilmarnock 30 11 2 17 38 50 -12 35
8. Inverness CT 29 8 9 12 34 39 -5 33
9. Dunfermline 29 6 8 15 25 46 -21 26
10. Dundee 29 6 6 17 28 56 -28 24
11. Livingston 29 6 5 18 24 49 -25 23
12. Dundee Utd 29 4 10 15 29 48 -19 22