Motherwell 0 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish Cup - Quarter Finals
Saturday, March 6th, 2004, 3:00 PM at Fir Park
Attendance: 7,930
Referee: K Clark
Motherwell Inverness CT

None. Barry Wilson (10)

Team Managers
Unknown. John Robertson

Starting Eleven
S McDonald
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Barry Wilson
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Liam Keogh
Darran Thomson
Paul Ritchie

K McDonald
Michael Fraser
Grant Munro
David Proctor
Richie Hart
Craig MacMillan

O'Donnell -> Fagan (58)
Wright -> Wright (58)
Grant Munro for Darran Thomson (79)
David Proctor for Paul Ritchie (82)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 78 apps -
Stuart Golabek 155 apps3 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 134 apps5 goals
Ross Tokely 271 apps20 goals
Bobby Mann 201 apps17 goals
Barry Wilson 179 apps53 goals
Roy McBain 155 apps9 goals
Darran Thomson 24 apps2 goals
Russell Duncan 107 apps2 goals
Liam Keogh 51 apps2 goals
Paul Ritchie 117 apps56 goals
David Proctor (sub) 10 apps -
Grant Munro (sub) 84 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (25 years 5 days)
Oldest Player:Liam Keogh (2005 years 218 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 199 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Proctor (20 years 6 days)
Oldest Player:Craig MacMillan (2005 years 218 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 256 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Another SPL scalp on the Scottish Cup totem pole. Motherwell came highly recommended but despite playing good football they could not break down the visitorsí resolute defence and Mark Brown was rarely troubled by his old club. Barry Wilsonís opportunist goal in 10 minutes was enough to earn a Scottish Cup semi final spot for the second season in a row. It was not a pretty game but the Caley Thistle tactics were very effective. The SPLís long list of membership rules obviously does not include the condition of the pitch Ė it was dreadful. Bobby Mann blocked a Scott McDonald shot in the second minute and after further Motherwell pressure Caley Thistle took a stunning lead. What proved to be the winning goal came in 10 minutes when Barry Wilson took a neat pass from Russell Duncan then spotted Gordon Marshall off his line. He decided to try his luck with a 30 yard lob and it came off in spectacular style. With the bright sun Marshallís only defence the ball dropped behind him and into the net. It was backs to the wall after that with only occasional breaks upfield. The Caley Thistle defence handled everything thrown at it including a Steve MacDonald angled shot in 31 minutes which Brown did well to hold. At the other end Marshall held a Darran Thomson chip in 37 minutes then a Wilson deflected shot four minutes later. The Motherwell pressure continued into the second half and on the hour mark a close-range Alex Burns header was deflected for a corner by Duncan. The corner was cleared and a Wilson/Liam Keogh break set up a Paul Ritchie shot which went wide. In 77 minutes Mann sent Wilson off down the left Ė the goal hero turned infield but this time shot over from 18 yards. With seven minutes left Martyn Corrigan shot well wide from distance and with a minute left Steve Hammellís free kick from 25 yards was headed clear. Keogh collected it and headed for goal. A flick from Wilson set up Duncan in the area but his low shot was saved by Marshall. There were three anxious added minutes but finally the whistle went. The Caley Thistle players took the applause of their fans in the South Stand and all the talk was of Hampden. As a bonus St Johnstone beat Clyde in the league to narrow the effective gap between first and second.