Inverness CT 3 - 1 Dumbarton

League Cup - Rd 2
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 7:45 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 1,085
Referee: Calum Murray
Inverness CT  Dumbarton

Dennis Wyness (6)
Graham Bayne (54)
Rory McAllister (72)
Dobbie (30)

Team Managers
Charlie Christie Gerry McCabe

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Barry Wilson
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
Alan Morgan
Dennis Wyness
Graham Bayne

Michael Fraser
Roy McBain
Liam Keogh
John Rankin
Rory McAllister

Liam Keogh for Richie Hart (61)
Rory McAllister for Dennis Wyness (67)
Roy McBain for Ross Tokely (78)
Boyle -> Geggins (47)
Quitongo -> Dobbie (82)
McKeever -> Brittain (89)

Richie Hart (40)
Borris (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 182 apps -
Ross Tokely 366 apps26 goals
Stuart Golabek 230 apps5 goals
Grant Munro 172 apps4 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 175 apps6 goals
Russell Duncan 191 apps5 goals
Alan Morgan 26 apps3 goals
Richie Hart 140 apps16 goals
Barry Wilson 275 apps75 goals
Dennis Wyness 198 apps92 goals
Graham Bayne 66 apps10 goals
Roy McBain (sub) 230 apps13 goals
Liam Keogh (sub) 101 apps3 goals
Rory McAllister (sub) 24 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (27 years 175 days)
Oldest Player:Dennis Wyness (2008 years 23 days)
Average Player Age:31 years 4 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (27 years 175 days)
Oldest Player:Rory McAllister (2008 years 23 days)
Average Player Age:31 years 4 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Graham Bayne reached 10 goals for the Club.

Goals from Wyness, Bayne and McAllister saw off Dumbarton and allowed Caley Thistle to advance to the 3rd Round of the CIS cup.

Caley Thistle moved into the third round of the CIS Cup with this 3-1 win but it was not all plain sailing. Aberdeen’s defeat at the hands of Queen’s Park the night before was a lesson to all that lower division opponents must be taken seriously – but there was never any chance that Dumbarton would be treated lightly.

In the event they put up a good fight until the home side’s third goal went in 20 minutes from time. Barry Wilson returned to the ICT starting line-up after missing the Celtic match and Craig Dargo dropped out through injury. Graham Bayne partnered Dennis Wyness up front and there were also starts for Stuart McCaffrey, Stuart Golabek, Richie Hart, Russell Duncan and Alan Morgan. Dumbarton featured ex ICT favourite David Bagan and new loan signing Stephen Dobbie from St Johnstone.

Caley Thistle started well and took the lead in just five minutes. An Alan Morgan corner on the right was mishandled by ‘keeper Stephen Grindlay and Dennis Wyness took it on the turn from close range – he found the net via a touch from defender Mark Canning.

ICT pressure continued but nothing quite came off. Dumbarton crept back into it and in 28 minutes a Bagan rising shot from 18 yards was touched for a corner. A minute later Dobbie raced past the home defence amidst futile offside claims and fired an angled shot past Mark Brown from the left side of the box. Dumbarton pushed for a second and in 32 minutes Chris Gentile slid onto a ball eight yards out but it crept past the post.

Caley Thistle had chances close to the half time whistle with a Wyness overhead shot cleared, a Graham Bayne effort blocked then a Ross Tokely header turned for a corner.

Half Time: 1-1

The home side regained the lead in 53 minutes when a Wilson free kick into the box was headed low past Grindlay by Bayne.

Russell Duncan hit over the bar on the hour mark then, after further Caley Thistle pressure, substitute Rory McAllister scored the goal of the match in 70 minutes. Liam Keogh intercepted a half clearance then found McAllister 25 yards out – with no hesitation the striker lobbed it past Grindlay for only his second senior goal.

There was no way back for a tiring Dumbarton side but they did manage to prevent further damage. Bayne hit over the bar in 74 minutes then with five minutes left a confident McAllister tried a first time shot from six yards but he was off balance and it also cleared the bar.

In the final minute ‘Man of the Match’ Graham Bayne headed goalwards but it was blocked and his follow up shot went wide right. A good evening’s work – a potential banana skin avoided and a place earned in the third round of the cup.

Match report written by CaleyD