Change:  Go to:
05.02.2005 @ 15:00 Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen Attendance: 10595
Inverness CT
1 - 2
Referee: Willie Young Scottish Cup / Rd 4-match

Craig Brewster (24)
Mackie (15)
Mackie (34)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
Graham Bayne
Juanjo Carricondo
Craig Brewster
Jonathon Smith
Stuart McCaffrey
Roy McBain
Bryan Prunty
Bajram Fetai
Roy McBain -> Richie Hart (70)
Bajram Fetai -> Juanjo Carricondo (77)
Stewart -> Craig (69)
Adams -> Whelan (80)
McGuire -> Mackie (88)
Yellow cards
Richie Hart (60)
Red cards
None. None
Other statistics
0 Shots 0
0 Shots on goal 0
0 Offsides 0
0 Corner kicks 0
0 Free kicks 0
0 Penalties 0
Match report
Familiar surroundings but cup disappointment. The difference between the sides proved to be former on-loan ICT player Darren Mackie. He returned to Pittodrie at the end of 2003-04, fought his way back into the side and his two goals put Caley Thistle out of the Scottish Cup.

With Zander Diamond injured Aberdeen included defender Richie Byrne, newly signed from Dunfermline. Craig Brewsters starting eleven was unchanged but reserve keeper Mike Fraser was injured and his bench place was taken by 17-year old Jonathon Smith only his second squad appearance.

After good early play at both ends it was Caley Thistle who could easily have opened the scoring a Richie Hart corner was headed onto the post by Brewster. In the event it was Aberdeen who scored first in 15 minutes. A Kevin McNaughton cross from the right was headed home by Mackie despite the presence of two defenders and the advancing Mark Brown.

Nine minutes later a Richie Hart free kick into the box was touched in by Brewster from six yards - Russell Anderson and Markus Heikkinen were both in close attendance but Brewsters strength won the battle.

Stuart Golabek then hit the bar and Brown saved from Steven Craig before the Dons once more took the lead in 34 minutes. A 22 yard drive from Jamie Winter took a slight deflection but Brown still managed an excellent diving save Mackie was in like a flash to score from the rebound.

Aberdeen should have sewn the game up in 51 minutes but Noel Whelan missed an open goal from six yards then Craigs follow-up header hit the bar. A good run by Mackie in 77 minutes led to another golden chance for Whelan. Mackie was on a hat-trick but unselfishly chose to pass to his strike partner - Whelan sliced it wide from eight yards. With five minutes left Mackie was again through but Brown took the ball at his feet.

Four added minutes stretched to nearly six but Aberdeen did not look like surrendering their lead. In the dying seconds Esson came out of his box to clear upfield and Brown took the ball at the edge of his area with John Stewart chasing. The whistle went and Caley Thistle were out of the cup. The good news is that they can now concentrate on SPL survival.