Inverness CT 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

Scottish Cup - Rd 4
Saturday, February 3rd, 2007, 3:00 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 3,402
Referee: Stuart Dougal
Inverness CT  Dundee Utd

Russell Duncan (15)

Team Managers
Charlie Christie Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Michael Fraser
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
John Rankin
Graham Bayne
Rory McAllister

Ally Ridgers
Stuart McCaffrey
Ian Black
Alan Morgan
Gary McSwegan

Gary McSwegan for Rory McAllister (66)
Hunt -> Daly (60)
Duff -> Samuel (74)

Ross Tokely (41)
Robson (52)
Wilkie (70)
Duff (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Michael Fraser (GK) 8 apps -
Richard Hastings 287 apps2 goals
Darren Dods 101 apps6 goals
Ross Tokely 391 apps28 goals
Grant Munro 197 apps5 goals
Barry Wilson 299 apps78 goals
Roy McBain 255 apps15 goals
John Rankin 27 apps5 goals
Russell Duncan 209 apps6 goals
Rory McAllister 38 apps3 goals
Graham Bayne 91 apps15 goals
Gary McSwegan (sub) 4 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (27 years 339 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (2008 years 187 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 323 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (27 years 339 days)
Oldest Player:Rory McAllister (2008 years 187 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 323 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Russell Duncan does not score many goals but when he does they are usually crackers. His 16th minute wonder goal – Duncan ’s first of the season – was one from the top drawer and a fitting match winner.

The home side dominated the first half but had just one goal to show for their superiority. United came back in the second, finished particularly strongly but could not find a way through the home defence. Strikers Craig Dargo and Dennis Wyness missed out for Caley Thistle with shoulder injuries and new recruit Markus Paatelainen was cup-tied.

United welcomed back Barry Robson from suspension to face his former club and Lee Mair was out through injury. Having signed a pre-contract agreement Darren Dods was in the unusual position of playing against the side that will gain his services in the summer.

These sides last met in the Tennent’s Scottish Cup in February 1998 and it was an epic. ICT were languishing in ninth place in the second division but they took their SPL opponents all the way before succumbing in extra time after a replay. Richard Hastings and Barry Wilson played for Caley Thistle in both games and Barry Robson, now United’s skipper, made a substitute appearance in the second match. Current ICT striker Gary McSwegan played in both matches for United.

Today it was a meeting of SPL equals but with Caley Thistle just ahead in the league. Two early efforts from Barry Wilson signalled the home side’s attacking intentions – in the fifth minute he shot wide from 25 yards then five minutes later Derek Stillie collect an angled shot from the left at his near post. The goal that proved to be the winner came in 16 minutes when a long Grant Munro throw from the left was headed away by Lee Wilkie but only as far as Duncan – he took a touch and from over 25 yards sent a dipping shot into the top corner.

In 29 minutes Rory McAllister had a chance to extend the lead when he latched onto a Wilson cross from the right but from a few yards out he headed over. As half time approached United had a couple of chances with David Robertson hooking wide from inside the box and Mark Kerr hitting just wide from the edge of the penalty area. United had clearly been given verbal encouragement at the interval and they had much more of the play in the second half.

Half Time: 1-0

David Robertson did find the net in 48 minutes with a header but he was well offside. Samuel netted in 70 minutes but Lee Wilkie was penalised (and booked) for a strong challenge on Mike Fraser. With six minutes left Ross Tokely produced a mesmeric run to beat four defenders and set himself up for a shot but he hit the side netting. Two minutes later substitute McSwegan hit low and wide of the mark.

In the dying seconds United had a realistic chance to force a replay when a Robson shot from wide right was beaten away by Fraser - no United player was there to cash in and it came back to the ‘keeper via Dods and Munro.

Full Time: 1-0

The final whistle sounded and Caley Thistle were through to the quarter final draw.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot