Inverness CT 1 - 2 St. Mirren

League Match
Saturday, July 29th, 2006, 3:00 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 4,267
Referee: Alan Freeland
Inverness CT  St. Mirren

Craig Dargo (48)
Stewart Kean (55)
John Sutton (75)

Team Managers
Charlie Christie Gus MacPherson

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Russell Duncan
Ian Black
John Rankin
Dennis Wyness
Craig Dargo
Chris Smith
Kevin McGowne
John Potter
Kirk Broadfoot
David van Zanten
Craig Molloy
Garry Brady
Hugh Murray
Simon Lappin
John Sutton
Stewart Kean

Michael Fraser
Stuart Soane
Richie Hart
Liam Keogh
Alan Morgan
Zander Sutherland
Graham Bayne
Tony Bullock (GK)
Alex Burke
Richard Brittain
Mark Corcoran
Ian Maxwell
Ryan McCay
David McKenna

Liam Keogh for Russell Duncan (65)
Graham Bayne for Stuart Golabek (78)
Richard Brittain -> Garry Brady (69)

Craig Dargo (90)
John Sutton (56)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 178 apps -
Darren Dods 74 apps3 goals
Stuart Golabek 229 apps5 goals
Grant Munro 168 apps3 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 174 apps6 goals
Russell Duncan 189 apps5 goals
Ian Black 45 apps1 goal
Barry Wilson 272 apps74 goals
John Rankin 1 app (debut) -
Craig Dargo 39 apps21 goals
Dennis Wyness 194 apps91 goals
Liam Keogh (sub) 97 apps3 goals
Graham Bayne (sub) 62 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Barry Wilson (34 years 172 days)
Oldest Player:Craig Dargo (2007 years 363 days)
Average Player Age:34 years 172 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Barry Wilson (34 years 172 days)
Oldest Player:John Rankin (2007 years 363 days)
Average Player Age:34 years 172 days
Domestic Players:18 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
John Rankin(Signed )


Caley Thistle fans could be excused for feeling confident that they would get a result, especially after going 5 games unbeaten at the end of last season, having had no major squad rebuilding issues in the close season, and facing the prospect of playing a side they hadn't lost to in 12 games. Unfortunately however, someone forgot to tell Gus McPherson and most of the ICT players that an ICT victory was expected as the Buddies deservedly won this match.

Club Historian Ian Broadfoot reports from Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.

A very disappointing start to the season for Caley Thistle but SPL newcomers St Mirren were understandably delighted. Two goals from John Sutton (but with Stewart Kean still claiming the first) saw them come from behind to take the points in a match that only came to life in the second half.

With Ross Tokely sidelined Stuart McCaffrey occupied the right back spot in the home side and new signing John Rankin started in left midfield. The Saints defence was under pressure for the first 15 minutes but nothing quite came off. Barry Wilson took a quick free kick from long distance in six minutes with ‘keeper Chris Smith out of position but he struck it over the bar.

A high ball from Rankin in 15 minutes reached Dennis Wyness but he shot wide from 20 yards. Sutton almost broke through for Saints in 20 minutes but McCaffrey saved the day with a fine tackle. Wilson then cleared from David Van Zanten as he headed for goal before Craig Dargo went down 19 yards out at the other end.  It was too theatrical for Alan Freeland and play was waved on.

Play was generally scrappy with few moments of interest. One of these came in 37 minutes when Wilson did well to set Dargo on track – he crossed from the right for Ian Black but the defence cleared. An angled shot from Dargo just before the break was cleared for a corner by Kirk Broadfoot but otherwise the half petered out.

Half Time: 0-0

The second half was much better and a minute after the restart a Russell Duncan sidefoot shot was diverted for a corner. Smith failed to hold Rankin’s flag kick and the ball broke back to him – he found Wilson but his chip went wide. The opening goal came in 48 minutes when an inch-perfect Rankin cross from the left was met by a fine Dargo header from close range.

It was now looking good for ICT but that changed in 55 minutes. A ball sent left to right just eluded Stuart Golabek and Craig Molloy had a clear shot on goal from just inside the box. Mark Brown did well to push it away but Sutton and Kean between them scored from the rebound.

An Ian Black acrobatic shot in 61 minutes was held by Smith then in 70 minutes Broadfoot headed over a Simon Lappin free kick.

Saints’ winner came out of nothing. A long bouncing clearance from Smith looked harmless as it headed towards the ICT goal but with the central defenders hesitating Sutton stepped in to touch it past Brown.

Caley Thistle fought hard to equalise after this blow but failed - Wilson hit a 20 yard shot at Smith, Wyness sent an angled ball over after a good Wilson/Dargo move then Smith held a Black chip. Into added time and Saints were content to hold the ball in the corner and count down the seconds. The final move was a Graham Bayne attempt to intercept a Smith clearance but it flew to safety.

Full Time: 1-2

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Celtic 1 1 0 0 4 1 3 3
2. Falkirk 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
3. Hearts 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
4. St. Mirren 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
5. Aberdeen 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
6. Hibernian 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
7. Dundee Utd 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
8. Dunfermline 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
9. Inverness CT 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
10. Kilmarnock 1 0 0 1 1 4 -3 0