Albion Rovers 0 - 2 Inverness CT

League Cup - 1st Round
Tuesday, September 11th, 2001, 3:00 PM at Cliftonhill, Coatbridge
Attendance: 403
Referee: J Gilmour
Albion Rovers Inverness CT

None. Paul Ritchie (77)
Paul Ritchie (84)

Team Managers
John McVeigh Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
Chris Fahey
Steve Hamilton
Jordan Smith
Ryan McMullan
Chris Silvestro
Jim Calder
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Graeme Stewart
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Martin Bavidge
Dennis Wyness
Paul Ritchie

Ally Ridgers
Grant Munro
Mike Teasdale
Barry Robson
Neil MacDonald

Carr -> Waldie (79) Barry Robson for Graeme Stewart (70)
Neil MacDonald for Dennis Wyness (85)

Tait (40)
Lumsden (49)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 187 apps -
Stuart McCaffrey 42 apps -
Stuart Golabek 67 apps1 goal
Ross Tokely 161 apps7 goals
Bobby Mann 96 apps8 goals
Roy McBain 47 apps4 goals
Russell Duncan 6 apps -
Graeme Stewart 10 apps -
Martin Bavidge 88 apps14 goals
Paul Ritchie 7 apps4 goals
Dennis Wyness 77 apps35 goals
Barry Robson (sub) 88 apps9 goals
Neil MacDonald (sub) 7 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 193 days)
Oldest Player:Roy McBain (2003 years 41 days)
Average Player Age:31 years 351 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 193 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Ritchie (2003 years 41 days)
Average Player Age:32 years 9 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The score did not reflect the hard work put in by Rovers. They played at a frantic pace throughout the first half but the defence held firm and Jim Calder was rarely troubled. Ryan McMullan tortured the visitors defence down the right wing but Caley Thistle hit on the break and had some good chances. Albion's Chris Silvestro hit an angled ball over the bar in 5 minutes then Dennis Wyness hit the bar at the other end. Jordan Smith headed well over in 12 minutes after a Steve Hamilton free kick. In 19 minutes Ross Tokely sent a cross into the Rovers goalmouth but Wyness' glancing header came off the post. Another break in 28 minutes set up Wyness for a close range shot but Chris Fahey saved well. The pace slowed in the second half and Caley Thistle began to dictate more of the play. In 58 minutes a poor Fahey clearance fell at the feet of Wyness but he lobbed over the bar. The opener came in 77 minutes when Bobby Mann took a quick free kick from the right to substitute Barry Robson on the left wing. He sent in a low cross and Paul Ritchie was well placed to flick home at the near post. The result was sealed in 84 minutes in bizarre circumstances. Fahey came out to collect a Wyness chip which was heading towards Ritchie but he dropped it and Ritchie gratefully touched the ball into the empty net. In the last minute Ritchie set up a Martin Bavidge run on goal but his shot went over. A relieved Caley Thistle side headed home.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot