Inverness CT 2 - 3 Rangers

League Match
Sunday, January 29th, 2006, 2:00 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 7,380
Referee: Alan Freeland
Inverness CT  Rangers

Craig Dargo (13)
Dennis Wyness (72)
Boyd (6, pen 58)
Andrews (27)

Team Managers
Charlie Christie Alex McLeish

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Liam Fox
Dennis Wyness
Craig Dargo

Michael Fraser
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
David Proctor
Richie Hart
Graham Bayne
Rory McAllister

Stuart Golabek for Russell Duncan (46)
Richie Hart for Liam Fox (71)
Graham Bayne for Richard Hastings (87)
Prso -> Burke (39)
Novo -> Boyd (75)

Dennis Wyness (45)
Barry Wilson (57)
Liam Fox (60)
Craig Dargo (65)
Richie Hart (89)
Andrews (35)
Murray (51)

Red Cards
None. None
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 162 apps -
Ross Tokely 349 apps25 goals
Grant Munro 156 apps3 goals
Richard Hastings 248 apps2 goals
Darren Dods 57 apps1 goal
Roy McBain 220 apps12 goals
Russell Duncan 173 apps4 goals
Liam Fox 26 apps5 goals
Barry Wilson 258 apps72 goals
Dennis Wyness 179 apps87 goals
Craig Dargo 25 apps13 goals
Stuart Golabek (sub) 219 apps5 goals
Richie Hart (sub) 126 apps15 goals
Graham Bayne (sub) 50 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (26 years 334 days)
Oldest Player:Darren Dods (2007 years 182 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 318 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Proctor (21 years 335 days)
Oldest Player:Michael Fraser (2007 years 182 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 322 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Graham Bayne played his 50th major competitive game for the Club.

A defeat in Charlie Christie's first official game in charge but a battling performance against Rangers with Craig Dargo and Dennis Wyness on the score sheet yet again. Ian Broadfoot reports from the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.

A baptism of fire for the new management team of Charlie Christie & Donald Park. Caley Thistle's 11 game unbeaten SPL run ended at home to Rangers with the game live on Sky TV. TV pictures showed that Caley Thistle were desperately unlucky on two occasions; one Rangers goal was illegal and a penalty should have been awarded to the home side late in the game. They were however rescued on several occasions by fine saves from Mark Brown.

Ian Black missed the game through suspension and was replaced by Liam Fox. For Rangers, Barry Ferguson was absent due to a broken nose sustained in a training collision with Marvin Andrews.

Rangers put the Caley Thistle defence under pressure from the off and were rewarded in just six minutes. Chris Burke made a strong run and his defence-splitting pass reached Thomas Buffel on the left of the box. Buffel sent a square ball into the centre and Kris Boyd scored from six yards.

Craig Dargo set the home stands alight when he equalised in 13 minutes. A Ross Tokely long ball through the centre ran kindly for Dargo and he hit low past Ronald Waterreus from 12 yards.

A curling corner by Peter Lovenkrands from the right and a diving header from Marvin Andrews made it 2-1 in 27 minutes but TV evidence later showed that the ball actually came off Andrews arm. The goal stood and Rangers pressed to kill off the game. A great save by Mark Brown from Buffel just before the break kept the score at 2-1.

Half Time 2-1

The game seemed to go beyond the home side in 58 minutes when Peter Lovenkrands came into the box from the left and was sandwiched – the referee pointed to the penalty spot and Boyd made no mistake.

Home heads went down for a while then a Dennis Wyness goal in 72 minutes set up a lively last period. Barry Wilson hit goalwards from 18 yards and Waterreus dived to his right in the direction of the shot and Dennis Wyness reacted quickly and headed the ball into the unattended part of the goal from six yards.

A minute later there was controversy when a Wilson ball across goal was nearly turned into his own goal by the arm of Ian Murray but Waterreus made a tremendous save. Penalty claims were turned down but once more TV pictures showed this to be a harsh decision.

Alan Hutton blocked a Wyness header from 12 yards in 74 minutes. Three Lovenkrands corners in a row, with eight minutes left, put pressure on the home defence but all were cleared.

Full Time: 2-3

Despite a strong finish Caley Thistle could not manage an equaliser and Rangers took the points. Caley Thistle remain sixth.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Celtic 24 18 4 2 63 26 37 58
2. Hearts 24 15 5 4 49 19 30 50
3. Rangers 24 12 7 5 44 28 16 43
4. Hibernian 24 13 2 9 41 34 7 41
5. Kilmarnock 24 10 7 7 44 39 5 37
6. Inverness CT 24 8 10 6 32 25 7 34
7. Motherwell 24 8 6 10 38 43 -5 30
8. Aberdeen 24 6 11 7 27 29 -2 29
9. Dundee Utd 24 6 8 10 28 39 -11 26
10. Falkirk 24 5 5 14 24 48 -24 20
11. Dunfermline 24 3 5 16 19 45 -26 14
12. Livingston 24 2 6 16 13 47 -34 12