Stenhousemuir 1 - 1 Inverness CT

(Won 6 - 5 on pens.)
League Cup - Rd 3
Tuesday, September 25th, 2012, 7:45 PM at Ochilview Park, Stenhousemuir
Attendance: 705
Referee: Bobby Madden
Stenhousemuir Inverness CT

Brown Ferguson (pen)(40) Billy Mckay (23)

Team Managers
Martyn Corrigan Terry Butcher

Starting Eleven
Robbie Thomson
Greg Ross
Scott Buist
Ross McMillan
Kevin McKinlay
Brown Ferguson
Iain Thompson
Bryan Hodge
Sean Dickson
John Gemmill
Stewart Kean
Ryan Esson
Josh Meekings
Gary Warren
David Raven
Andre Blackman
Graeme Shinnie
Aaron Doran
Ross Draper
Conor Pepper
Richie Foran
Billy Mckay

Andy Rodgers
Darren Smith
Craig Anderson
Alan Lawson
Dean Shaw
Antonio Reguero
Gavin Morrison
Jason Oswell
Philip Roberts
Matthew Cooper

Darren Smith -> Sean Dickson (69)
Andy Rodgers -> Scott Buist (95)
Craig Anderson -> Iain Thompson (102)
Gavin Morrison for Conor Pepper (79)
Philip Roberts for Billy Mckay (101)

Andy Rodgers (105)
Kevin McKinlay (119)
Gary Warren (112)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ryan Esson (GK) 150 apps -
David Raven 9 apps -
Gary Warren 9 apps -
Andre Blackman 3 apps -
Josh Meekings 29 apps -
Aaron Doran 37 apps3 goals
Graeme Shinnie 65 apps1 goal
Conor Pepper 7 apps2 goals
Ross Draper 9 apps2 goals
Billy Mckay 33 apps5 goals
Richie Foran 139 apps33 goals
Gavin Morrison (sub) 25 apps1 goal
Philip Roberts (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Aaron Doran (21 years 141 days)
Oldest Player:Conor Pepper (2014 years 58 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 92 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Aaron Doran (21 years 141 days)
Oldest Player:Antonio Reguero (2014 years 58 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 92 days
Domestic Players:11 (68.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Penalty Drama as Inverness edge it:

A wet and breezy night in Stenhousemuir saw the SPL side struggle to get to grips with the conditions early on but with twenty minutes gone Billy McKay headed the visitors in front.

Stenhousemuir equalised from the spot after Raven brought down Brown Ferguson who took the kick himself. Stewart Kean almost nudged them ahead before half time but he hit the woodwork.

No more goals after the break took the tie to extra-time and that came and went without any further goals.

A dramatic penalty shootout was concluded when Ryan Esson saved Darren Smith'spenalty to win the tie for Inverness 6-5 on penalties.

Richie Foran miss 0-1 Brown Ferguson score
Graeme Shinnie score 1-2 Andy Rodgers score
Gavin Morrison score 2-2 Bryan Hodge miss
Aaron Doran score 3-3 John Gemmell score
Andrew Shinnie score 4-4 Ross McMillan score
Ross Draper score 5-5 Stewart Kean score
Philip Roberts score 6-5 Darren Smith miss


old caley girl faced the elements and the penalty shoot out to provide us with this report.

The Gods didn't appear to be very happy yesterday. During the day the stormy weather appeared to be of biblical proportions but the artificial surface at Ochilview ensured the game went ahead. A small band of hardy ICT fans left Inverness for Stenhousemuir full of optomism despite the weather. After a short stop at the ICT adopted chippy in Auchterarder we eventually arrived in Stenhousemuir.

It's no secret to anyone that knows me that I much prefer the traditional football ground to modern all seater stadia, so there wasn't much of a choice to be made between the terrace or the stand. The only disappointment was that there was no way of swapping ends at half time. The larger clubs could also take lessons from the courteous staff and stewards.

It wasn't long until the terrace started to fill up with familiar faces, with the central belt fans arriving such as Govan Jaggie, Capital Caley, Red Card and Top Six Next Year. The ICT faithful congregated behind the goal, and as the game kicked off the wind and rain were still relentless.

Stenny started in lively fashion and looked like they were a confident, competent team having dumped Killie out of the cup in the previous round. Billy McKay returned to the Caley Jags team replacing the injured Andre Blackman and took up his usual role as loan striker with Graeme Shinnie dropping back.

This was my first time watching a competitive game on an artificial surface and it soon became plain that staying on your feet and getting a pass on target was a bit of a problem for the ICT lads. After 15 mins we had our first chance when Connor Pepper passed through to Doran who then shot straight at the young Stenny keeper. However in 23 mins a great high ball through from Meekings bounced to Billy McKay who headed past the keeper straight into the net. So we were in front and all was going to plan.

Unfortunately though 15 mins later David Raven didn't stick to the script and was adjudged by ref Bobby Madden to have tripped Ferguson and he also earned himself a yellow card. We couldn't see too well from our end was it stonewalled or not so look forward to seeing the highlights. Ferguson took the penalty and drove the ball low and hard past Esson's right. 1-1.

Things almost went from bad to worse just on half time when Kean got straight through but hit the crossbar.

Half-Time 1-1

Main talk at at half time was the presence of Ally McCoist in the stand and also how well Stenny were playing and how this was going to be a bit of a battle.

The second half didn't see much improvement to be honest. Both teams had opportunities to win but didn't take them. Morrison eventually replaced Pepper and Foran moved up front. This made us look marginally more dangerous and it was clear that players and fans alike wanted to avoid extra time. However it was Stenny that could have settled it when Kean managed to get straight through again one on one with Ryan Esson but shot into the side netting.

Everyone braced themselves for extra time but neither team produced a winner. Roberts replaced McKay and annoyed the home support with a body check on one of their players and thus earned boos for the remainder of the game.

Penalties arrived and standing right behind the goal gave a keepers view of the penalties but most of us seemed to watch through our hands! Up stepped Richie Foran, who struck the ball confidently and hit the post! Groans all round. The next few were scored competently until Hodge shot over the bar. We moved to sudden death until eventually hero Essson saved from Darren Smith.

Full Time 1-1 Inverness win 6-5 on penalties

A much relieved Caley Jags faithful left Ochilview happy to have gained a win, any win, even if it had been done the hard way.

To summarise we huffed and puffed but eventually got the job done. The 4th round draw beckons and the dream of a cup run goes on. It's going to be hard but whisper it one more round to Hampden!

Thanks to old caley girl for that report from a wet and windy Ochilview, I hope it was worth it and maybe a favourable draw in the next round awaits.

Match report written by old caley girl