Inverness CT 1 - 0 Dundee Utd

League Match
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 3:00 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 3,901
Referee: Steven Finnie
Inverness CT  Dundee Utd

Barry Wilson (90)

Team Managers
Charlie Christie Craig Levein

Starting Eleven
Michael Fraser
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Russell Duncan
Ian Black
John Rankin
Graham Bayne
Rory McAllister

Ally Ridgers
Stuart McCaffrey
Richie Hart
Alan Morgan
Zander Sutherland
Markus Paatelainen
Gary McSwegan

Gary McSwegan for Rory McAllister (64)
Markus Paatelainen for John Rankin (73)
Samuel -> Robertson (46)
Robb -> Daly (73)
Goodwillie -> Hunt (81)

Ian Black (42)
Russell Duncan (90)
Kalvenes (83)

Red Cards
Grant Munro (90)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Michael Fraser (GK) 12 apps -
Darren Dods 105 apps6 goals
Richard Hastings 291 apps2 goals
Grant Munro 201 apps5 goals
Ross Tokely 395 apps28 goals
John Rankin 31 apps5 goals
Barry Wilson 303 apps79 goals
Ian Black 66 apps1 goal
Russell Duncan 213 apps6 goals
Graham Bayne 95 apps16 goals
Rory McAllister 42 apps3 goals
Markus Paatelainen (sub) 4 apps -
Gary McSwegan (sub) 8 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (28 years 2 days)
Oldest Player:Ian Black (2008 years 215 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 351 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (28 years 2 days)
Oldest Player:Zander Sutherland (2008 years 215 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 351 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A Barry Wilson goal right at the death wins all three points for Caley Thistle. The goal came moments after Grant Munro, making his 200th appearance for the club, received a straight red card for a tackle on Barry Robson. Club Historian Ian Broadfoot reports from the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium.


Up until the last three minutes this game was totally forgettable – two off-form teams producing very little. The match was punctuated by free kick after free kick and chances were few.

With a minute of normal time left Grant Munro tackled Barry Robson on the half way line and the referee deemed it reckless – a straight red card was shown and Munro’s 200th appearance was spoiled. With a full two minutes of added time on the clock Barry Wilson scored dramatically to keep the points in Inverness .

This was reminiscent of the closing period of last Sunday’s Celtic game but there the similarity of the matches ended.

Roy McBain dropped out of the ICT team from last week due to both injury and suspension and Rory McAllister came in to partner Graham Bayne up front.

Charli Christie said: "We weren't at our best today, I think that was apparent to everyone but we showed some great resolve which is vitally important in football". It was Bayne who created some excitement in the first minute when he blocked a David McCracken clearance but it bounced back to a grateful Derek Stillie. With four minutes gone United’s Sean Dillon sent over a cross from the right and Jon Daly hit it first time past the post from close range.

In 23 minutes Mike Fraser dived to his right and touched a 25 yard Barry Robson shot past for a corner. Ross Tokely headed over in 32 minutes then, with five minutes of the half left, Richard Hastings came close with a header that was cleared off the line.I think that is only the second game of the season that we have taken more points than we deserved.

Half Time: 0-0

Things did not really improve after the break but home hopes were lifted when Rory McAllister robbed a defender inside the United half after 47 minutes but he hesitated and the defence regrouped before he could make the chance count. Robson netted a minute later for the visitors but the whistle had long gone.

United full back Christian Kalvenes crossed high from the left in 62 minutes but Noel Hunt just failed to connect at the back post. A repeat of this cross in 69 minutes led to a Collin Samuel bouncing header which went not far wide.

With six minutes left Bayne knocked the ball to substitute Gary McSwegan who chested it down and shot on the turn but it was blocked. It went out to Russell Duncan on the left but he shot wide of the target. United’s best effort of the match came in 85 minutes when Robson curled a shot low from 18 yards but Fraser was equal to the task and dived to push it for a corner.

Then came the dramatic last three minutes. Munro’s red card seemed to spur on the home side and an excellent move produced a late late winner. An Ian Black chip set Barry Wilson down the right – he cut inside and shot low for goal. Stillie spilled it, Bayne stepped in to touch it Markus Paatelainen and he found Wilson 18 yards out. Despite the pressure Wilson hit it neatly past Stillie to stun the travelling support and grab the points.

Full Time: 1-0

Wilson was engulfed by his colleagues and the match was over. As a result ICT leapfrogged United to a healthy seventh place.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Celtic 29 23 5 1 57 22 35 74
2. Rangers 28 15 7 6 46 24 22 52
3. Aberdeen 28 14 6 8 39 25 14 48
4. Hearts 28 12 9 7 36 25 11 45
5. Hibernian 28 11 7 10 46 32 14 40
6. Kilmarnock 29 11 7 11 38 44 -6 40
7. Inverness CT 29 8 10 11 31 37 -6 34
8. Falkirk 29 10 3 16 36 39 -3 33
9. Motherwell 27 9 5 13 32 42 -10 32
10. Dundee Utd 29 8 8 13 29 49 -20 32
11. St. Mirren 29 5 10 14 23 43 -20 25
12. Dunfermline 29 3 7 19 15 46 -31 16