Clyde 1 - 2 Inverness CT

League Match
Saturday, May 8th, 2004, 3:00 PM at Broadwood Stadium
Attendance: 4,850
Referee: J Rowbotham
Clyde Inverness CT

Harty (pen 72) Liam Keogh (54)
Steven Hislop (79)

Team Managers
Unknown. John Robertson

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
David Proctor
Barry Wilson
Roy McBain
Richie Hart
Liam Keogh
David Bingham
Paul Ritchie

Michael Fraser
Grant Munro
Darran Thomson
Steven Hislop
Craig MacMillan

Gilhaney -> Hagen (55)
Keogh -> Smith (55)
Fotheringham -> Kernaghan (72)
Steven Hislop for Paul Ritchie (73)
Grant Munro for David Proctor (82)

None. Stuart Golabek (60)
Barry Wilson (60)
Liam Keogh (60)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 90 apps -
Bobby Mann 213 apps17 goals
David Proctor 17 apps -
Stuart Golabek 165 apps3 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 146 apps5 goals
Richie Hart 63 apps12 goals
David Bingham 41 apps16 goals
Roy McBain 165 apps9 goals
Liam Keogh 63 apps3 goals
Barry Wilson 189 apps58 goals
Paul Ritchie 129 apps62 goals
Grant Munro (sub) 89 apps2 goals
Steven Hislop (sub) 46 apps16 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:David Proctor (20 years 69 days)
Oldest Player:Richie Hart (2005 years 281 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 80 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Proctor (20 years 69 days)
Oldest Player:Craig MacMillan (2005 years 281 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 80 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


This was the big one and it lived up to its billing in every way. Clyde’s regular fan base was doubled as the Cumbernauld faithful came in anticipation of seeing their team lift the First Division title. 1500 Caley Thistle fans poured into Broadwood hoping this would not happen and they were joined by a cluster of Partick fans anxious to see their arch-rivals Clyde fail. The atmosphere was electric and the first half was played at a frantic pace. In four minutes Bryn Halliwell held an angled shot from Roy McBain at the second attempt then Mark Brown collected a header from Ian Harty. In 13 minutes David Bingham’s 15 yard lob cleared the bar and a minute later Harty hit over at the other end. As play raged from end to end a Harty scissors kick went wide, Bobby Man stepped in to foil a good run by Colin Marshall then David Proctor shot into Halliwell’s arms. On the half hour mark Mann rose high to head over a Stuart Golabek cross then Paul Ritchie’s on-target shot in the box deflected off Stuart McCluskey for a corner. The closest first half effort came in 37 minutes when Proctor headed a Barry Wilson corner goalwards but it was pushed away by Halliwell. The visitors began to take control in the second half but not before Harty was stopped in the box by a timely Stuart McCaffrey tackle. The breakthrough came in 54 minutes when a McBain shot from the left was cleared by Jack Ross. It fell to Liam Keogh 22 yards out and he hit it first time low into the net. The fans went wild and Clyde immediately retaliated by making two substitutions. Three minutes after the opener Ritchie had a chance to double the lead but he scooped it over from six yards with Alan Kernaghan snapping at this heels. In 62 minutes McBain was set up by Keogh and Bingham but it fell to his right foot and he hit over from 15 yards. It could have been 3-0 but instead Clyde equalised in 72 minutes. Mark Brown saved a close range shot with his foot from Mark Gilhaney and as the ball was sent back goalwards by Pat Keogh it hit Proctor’s hands. He was protecting his face from the impact but despite strong protests a soft penalty was awarded. Harty scored to bring the Bully Wee back into it. Their hopes came to nothing and what proved to be the decisive goal came at the other end in 79 minutes. Substitute Steve Hislop rose high to head home Keogh’s chip from the right and it was advantage Inverness. A frustrated Clyde were forced to watch as Caley Thistle held the ball while the minutes ticked away. The home side’s last hope came a minute over time when Marshall’s lob into the box was turned for a corner by Keogh. There was no time to take it and the final whistle blew. A day to remember for all Caley Thistle fans but a job only half completed. If this was the semi-final of the First Division championship then next week’s St Johnstone match will be the final. Caley Thistle go into the match a point ahead and a win is the only realistic option. Clyde are favourites to win at Brechin and, if they do, a draw would not be enough for ICT. There is more drama to come.

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Inverness CT 35 20 7 8 64 32 32 67
2. Clyde 35 19 9 7 59 38 21 66
3. St. Johnstone 35 15 12 8 58 42 16 57
4. Falkirk 35 15 10 10 43 36 7 55
5. Queen of the South 35 14 9 12 45 48 -3 51
6. Ross County 35 12 13 10 49 39 10 49
7. St. Mirren 35 8 14 13 37 46 -9 38
8. Raith Rovers 35 8 10 17 37 56 -19 34
9. Ayr United 35 5 13 17 36 58 -22 28
10. Brechin City 35 6 9 20 35 68 -33 27