Inverness CT 3 - 2 Forfar Athletic

Challenge Cup - Bells, 1st Round
Tuesday, August 7th, 2001, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 876
Referee: G Mitchell
Inverness CT  Forfar Athletic

Charlie Christie (7)
Martin Bavidge (16)
Paul Ritchie (115)
Ross Tokely (og 21)
Barry Moffat (57)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Neil Cooper

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Paul Bradshaw
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Barry Robson
Martin Bavidge
Dennis Wyness
Michael Brown
Iain Good
Barry Sellars
Bary Moffat

Les Fridge
Grant Munro
Graeme Stewart
Russell Duncan
Paul Ritchie

Paul Ritchie for Dennis Wyness (71)
Russell Duncan for Mike Teasdale (110)
Farnan -> Byers (61)
Christie -> Stewart (73)
Williams -> Milne (113)

None. I Good

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 183 apps -
Stuart McCaffrey 36 apps -
Paul Bradshaw 2 apps -
Ross Tokely 155 apps7 goals
Stuart Golabek 62 apps1 goal
Bobby Mann 90 apps5 goals
Barry Robson 83 apps9 goals
Mike Teasdale 201 apps18 goals
Charlie Christie 238 apps30 goals
Martin Bavidge 82 apps14 goals
Dennis Wyness 71 apps31 goals
Russell Duncan (sub) 2 apps -
Paul Ritchie (sub) 1 app (debut)1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 158 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2003 years 6 days)
Average Player Age:32 years 289 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 158 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Ritchie (2003 years 6 days)
Average Player Age:32 years 302 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Paul Ritchie(Signed )

Paul Ritchie scored his first goal for the Club.

Caley Thistle made heavy weather of this tie despite a bright start, dominance throughout and two early goals. In 7 minutes Martin Bavidge sent in a low ball from the left and Charlie Christie netted from 18 yards with a first time low drive. Nine minutes later it was two nil and the home side were cruising. Stuart Golabek fired a cross from the left wing but Bavidge went to ground as he tried to control it. He recovered well, kept the ball and scored from 6 yards. The expected onslaught never happened and Forfar came right back into it in 21 minutes when Ross Tokely found his own net with a low header following a Barry Sellars corner. Caley Thistle continued to dominate but could not kill the game. In 53 minutes Bavidge should have put the game beyond Forfar's reach when he was set up by an excellent Tokely through ball. Bavidge rounded keeper Michael Brown but missed the open goal. Punishment came four minutes later when a bad defensive clearance spun high in the air and landed at the feet of a grateful Barrie Moffat. He raced on towards goal and hammered it past Jim Calder to make it 2-2. Caley Thistle substitute Paul Ritchie came close with his first touch in 72 minutes as he latched onto a Golabek pass but his shot was well saved by Brown. Three minutes later the roles were reversed when Ritchie chested the ball into Golabek's path but the defenders shot went miles over the bar. Barry Robson then shot past and a Bobby Mann header was saved before extra time was needed. In 95 minutes Ritchie hit an angled shot past the post, Bavidge shot over in 101 minutes and Ritchie knocked it over the bar in 109 minutes. The pattern continued with home superiority but nothing more to show for it. The winner came just 5 minutes before the end. A Golabek charge set up a Bavidge run on the left and he hit it across goal and Ritchie went for it along with the keeper and defender Iain Good. The ball found the net and Ritchie was credited. Forfar fought back and nearly forced a penalty shoot out. With just two minutes on the clock Paul Bradshaw blocked a Moffat goal-bound shot with Calder stranded.
Time ran out for Forfar and the home side progressed to Round 2.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot