Hearts 1 - 3 Inverness CT

Scottish Cup - Round 4
Saturday, January 26th, 2002, 3:00 PM at Tynecastle Stadium, Edinburgh
Attendance: 12,016
Referee: Alan Freeland
Hearts Inverness CT

Wales (45) Ross Tokely (26)
Dennis Wyness (57)
David Bagan (73)

Team Managers
Craig Levein Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
Nicky Walker
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Bobby Mann
Stuart McCaffrey
Charlie Christie
Barry Robson
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Dennis Wyness
Paul Ritchie

Jim Calder
Stuart Golabek
Graeme Stewart
David Bagan
Martin Bavidge

Simmons -> McCann (46)
Kirk -> Webster (61)
Adam -> Wales (81)
David Bagan for Charlie Christie (46)

None. Russell Duncan (78)
Barry Robson (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Nicky Walker (GK) 21 apps -
Ross Tokely 182 apps11 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 65 apps -
Grant Munro 19 apps -
Bobby Mann 117 apps11 goals
Roy McBain 70 apps5 goals
Charlie Christie 265 apps32 goals
Russell Duncan 25 apps1 goal
Barry Robson 111 apps14 goals
Dennis Wyness 100 apps47 goals
Paul Ritchie 28 apps15 goals
David Bagan (sub) 48 apps10 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 330 days)
Oldest Player:Nicky Walker (2003 years 178 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 138 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 330 days)
Oldest Player:Nicky Walker (2003 years 178 days)
Average Player Age:33 years 186 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Dennis Wyness played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

A tremendous Scottish Cup performance earned Caley Thistle another Premier League scalp and a place in the quarter finals. The pitch was dreadful � for Tynecastle read Sandcastle � and was scheduled to be dug up straight after the match. The pitch and the heavy rain made it difficult for all players but it was the visitors who mastered the conditions and thoroughly deserved their victory. Hearts showed little flair and their star player Ricardo Fuller was well contained by a tight defence. Caley Thistle nearly went ahead in 16 minutes when a Russell Duncan cross from the left was met by the unmarked Paul Ritchie at the back post � his goal-bound header was blocked by the legs of Antti Niemi. Fuller�s only real effort came in 22 minutes but his fierce shot was tipped over by Nicky Walker. The opening goal came in 26 minutes when Ritchie sent a high ball to Ross Tokely from wide left. Tokely picked it up just outside the area, took a touch with his knee to outwit Austin McCann then hit a splendid shot past Niemi from 15 yards with his �weaker� left foot. With half time looming a corner from Steve Fulton was punched away by Walker but only to Tommi Gronlund who shot low from 18 yards. Walker pushed it away but only as far as Gary Wales at the back post and he stabbed it in for the equaliser. Hearts came out with more fire at the start of the second half but the visitors defence held firm then struck on the break. In 57 minutes Dennis Wyness celebrated his 100th appearance for the club with a classy goal. Walker sent a free kick deep into the Hearts� half and Wyness picked it up 20 yards out. He turned Stephane Mahe and hit a left foot shot past Niemi. This goal marked the end of Hearts� hopes of a revival and they never looked like coming back into the game. In 73 minutes the lead became more secure when David Bagan scored a goal which was later voted the �goal of the day� on BBC Sportscene. A measured pass from Roy McBain set Bagan on a run from the halfway line with Gronlund in close attendance pulling his shirt. Bagan eventually collected the ball 20 yards out, turned Gronlund, took a touch into the box then side footed it past Niemi at the near post. It was a goal fit to win any match. It was just a matter of time after that and the Hearts fans began to leave. Barry Robson had a chance to make it four with a minute left as he strode in on goal from the left. With Ritchie well placed on the right Robson chose to shoot but it was a wild effort. In injury time Gronlund and Stephane Adam hit shots well over the bar for Hearts then it was time for 3000 Caley Thistle fans to go ballistic.