Inverness CT 1 - 1 Ayr United

League Match
Saturday, February 2nd, 2002, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 1,409
Referee: D Somers
Inverness CT  Ayr United

Dennis Wyness (13)
Crabbe (60)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Gordon Dalziel

Starting Eleven
Nicky Walker
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Bobby Mann
Stuart McCaffrey
Barry Robson
David Bagan
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Dennis Wyness
Paul Ritchie

Jim Calder
Stuart Golabek
Mike Teasdale
Graeme Stewart
Martin Bavidge

Martin Bavidge for Ross Tokely (76)
Kean -> Annand (71)

Ross Tokely (48)
Annand (58)
Lovering (65)
Scally (69)
Hughes (84)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Nicky Walker (GK) 22 apps -
Grant Munro 20 apps -
Ross Tokely 183 apps11 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 66 apps -
Bobby Mann 118 apps11 goals
Roy McBain 71 apps5 goals
Russell Duncan 26 apps1 goal
David Bagan 49 apps10 goals
Barry Robson 112 apps14 goals
Dennis Wyness 101 apps48 goals
Paul Ritchie 29 apps15 goals
Martin Bavidge (sub) 109 apps18 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 337 days)
Oldest Player:Bobby Mann (2003 years 185 days)
Average Player Age:22 years 337 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 337 days)
Oldest Player:Bobby Mann (2003 years 185 days)
Average Player Age:32 years 153 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Given the cold and windy conditions this was never going to be a classic. Both sides were coming back to earth after cup heroics and in a rather low key affair a draw was about right. In 13 minutes David Bagan won a corner on the right and Barry Robson's kick was headed on by Bobby Mann. Craig Nelson managed to get a hand to Dennis Wyness�s flick but the striker was well placed to net the loose ball. In 18 minutes Ayr�s Scott Crabbe turned Roy McBain then shot over from 25 yards. John Hughes tried a 40 yard lob two minutes later but it went straight to Nicky Walker. Barry Robson shot from long range at the other end in 26 minutes but it was easily saved. A minute later Wyness homed in on goal and went down to a tackle from Neil Duffy but play was waved on. Just after the half hour mark Wyness tried to find Paul Ritchie close to goal but he had too far to stretch. The home side continued to press but Ayr were defending in depth. Two Ross Tokely crosses into goal found no takers then a Mann free kick from 20 yards crashed off the wall. Just before half time McBain set off down the left on a solo run � he beat two defenders, cut inside and shot over from 18 yards. Ayr improved after the break and in 52 minutes Paul Sheerin sent a low 25 yard shot just off target. A minute later Ritchie and Bagan played a one-two but Ritchie�s shot was saved by Nelson. The equaliser came on the hour mark from Scott Crabbe after he was sent on a run by Sheerin. Crabbe ran unchallenged down the left then cut in towards goal � his low shot was touched by Walker but it ran agonisingly goalwards and went in off the post. In 64 minutes Crabbe sent a good cross from the left and Eddie Annand only just failed to connect. In 74 minutes two Wyness shots were blocked then a Robson effort from wide left went over. Ten minutes from time a Robson snap shot from the right went just over then with two minutes left Nelson slipped while reaching for a Martin Bavidge cross but it was headed for a corner. A Sheerin free kick with a minute left gave Ayr a chance but it was headed away by Russell Duncan. With surprising results elsewhere only nine points now separate third from tenth. Partick and Airdrie are well ahead in the top two places.


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Partick Thistle 24 15 5 4 45 24 21 50
2. Airdrieonians 23 13 8 2 46 19 27 47
3. Ayr United 24 9 5 10 37 34 3 32
4. St. Mirren 24 8 8 8 29 32 -3 32
5. Inverness CT 24 9 4 11 46 39 7 31
6. Clyde 23 8 5 10 28 39 -11 29
7. Arbroath 24 9 2 13 28 46 -18 29
8. Falkirk 22 8 4 10 35 43 -8 28
9. Ross County 22 7 3 12 26 32 -6 24
10. Raith Rovers 24 5 8 11 33 45 -12 23