Partick Thistle 2 - 2 Inverness CT

Scottish Cup - Quarter Final
Saturday, February 23rd, 2002, 3:00 PM at Firhill Park, Glasgow
Attendance: 8,700
Referee: J Rowbotham
Partick Thistle Inverness CT

Hardie (59)
Paterson (75)
Dennis Wyness (6)
Dennis Wyness (61)

Team Managers
John Lambie Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
Nicky Walker
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Bobby Mann
Stuart McCaffrey
Charlie Christie
Barry Robson
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Dennis Wyness
Paul Ritchie

Jim Calder
Stuart Golabek
Graeme Stewart
David Bagan
Martin Bavidge

McKinstry -> Dolan (30)
McLean -> Walker (68)
Gibson -> Fleming (78)
Martin Bavidge for Paul Ritchie (83)

None. Barry Robson (90)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Nicky Walker (GK) 25 apps -
Stuart McCaffrey 69 apps -
Grant Munro 23 apps1 goal
Bobby Mann 120 apps11 goals
Ross Tokely 186 apps11 goals
Roy McBain 74 apps5 goals
Charlie Christie 267 apps32 goals
Russell Duncan 29 apps1 goal
Barry Robson 115 apps14 goals
Dennis Wyness 104 apps52 goals
Paul Ritchie 32 apps16 goals
Martin Bavidge (sub) 112 apps18 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 358 days)
Oldest Player:Roy McBain (2003 years 206 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 166 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (22 years 358 days)
Oldest Player:Nicky Walker (2003 years 206 days)
Average Player Age:33 years 214 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


An all First Division clash as the two Thistles fought for a place in the cup semi final draw. It was certainly �Firhill for thrills� after the Caley Thistle team and 2000 fans battled through blizzards to a snowy Glasgow. The terraces had to be cleared before the match could go ahead but by kick-off the bright sun was a problem for players and fans. The first half was all Caley Thistle and they took the lead after only six minutes. Barry Robson sent Roy McBain on a run down the left and his low cross was met eight yards out by Dennis Wyness � Wyness hit a low left foot shot past �keeper Kenny Arthur. In 26 minutes a Wyness chip seemed to hit Scott Paterson�s hand but nothing was given. Caley Thistle continued to surge forward but could not find the final touch. Just before half time Ross Tokely sent a fine ball across goal from the right but it was missed by everyone. The visitors continued the good work into the second half and a Paul Ritchie interception and deflected shot ran for a corner. Barry Robson earned a second and it led to a chance for Tokely at the back post � his header went over. In 51 minutes a Stephen Craigan ball hit off Wyness and allowed Ritchie to slip it back to Wyness. He took his eye off the ball and mishit. Partick fought back into it and equalised in 59 minutes. A high ball from Craigan found Martin Hardie unmarked in the box and onside. He had a clear view of goal and finished clinically. Just two minutes later it was 2-1 to the visitors. A clearance from a corner was immediately hit high into the Partick box by Stuart McCaffrey and it reached Bobby Mann who had come upfield for the corner. He chested it down then found passed to Wyness who stretched to scored his second from six yards. Partick were now stringing passes together and looked more likely to score again. The second equaliser came from the unlikely foot of �Man of the Match� Scott Paterson in 75 minutes. A Danny Lennon corner from the left was headed away but only to Paterson who headed it then volleyed from 16 yards � a remarkable goal which gave Nicky Walker no chance. Partick surged forward for the winner but Caley Thistle held out. Right on the 90 minute mark Gerry Britton met a Lennon corner but his dangerous header went just over. It finished 2-2 and the prize of a Hampden cup semi-final is still on offer.