Ayr United 1 - 1 Inverness CT

League Match
Saturday, January 13th, 2001, 3:00 PM at Somerset Park
Attendance: 2,534
Referee: D MacDonald
Ayr United Inverness CT

Pat McGinlay (3) Dennis Wyness (72)

Team Managers
Gordon Dalziel Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
Les Fridge
Richard Hastings
Bobby Mann
Stuart McCaffrey
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Paul Sheerin
David Bagan
Roy McBain
Davide Xausa
Dennis Wyness

Ally Ridgers
Ross Tokely
Barry Robson
Martin Bavidge
David Graham

Annand -> Grady (46)
Scally -> Wilson (54)
Reynolds -> Teale (75)
Barry Robson for Paul Sheerin (75)
David Graham for Davide Xausa (75)

None. Barry Robson

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Les Fridge (GK) 78 apps -
Richard Hastings 206 apps2 goals
Stuart McCaffrey 18 apps -
Bobby Mann 72 apps3 goals
David Bagan 24 apps6 goals
Paul Sheerin 128 apps42 goals
Roy McBain 24 apps2 goals
Charlie Christie 220 apps28 goals
Mike Teasdale 188 apps18 goals
Dennis Wyness 53 apps16 goals
Davide Xausa 42 apps18 goals
Barry Robson (sub) 70 apps7 goals
David Graham (sub) 1 app (debut) -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (23 years 246 days)
Oldest Player:Bobby Mann (2002 years 165 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 362 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (21 years 317 days)
Oldest Player:Bobby Mann (2002 years 165 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 351 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
David Graham(Signed )


Despite heavy frost this game went ahead on a bone hard pitch. On loan Dunfermline striker David Graham made his debut for Caley Thistle from the bench and played for 15 minutes. Ayr took the lead in only 3 minutes when Pat McGinlay headed a Glynn Hurst cross past Les Fridge from close range. Three minutes later Paul Sheerin found space through the middle but sent a 25 yard shot harmlessly over. In 19 minutes a low Bobby Mann header flashed past the Ayr post. The equaliser came in 22 minutes thanks to an error by Marius Rovde in the Ayr goal. Davide Xausa hit a low ball towards goal and there looked to be no danger. Rovde failed to hold it and Dennis Wyness was on hand to chip the ball into the net. An Ayr free kick 25 yards out nearly gave them an advantage just on the half time whistle. The ball was slipped to McGinlay who sent a low ball through a ruck of players but Fridge held it safely. Caley Thistle started the second half well and created two early chances. In 52 minutes Xausa fired a low ball across goal from the left but nobody was there to take advantage. Two minutes later Xausa played a one-two with Wyness which left the Canadian in a good shooting position. A Neil Duffy shoulder charge ended the move and left Xausa in pain until he was substituted in 75 minutes. Ayr took charge for the last 30 minutes and only good defending held them at bay. Defensive clearances rarely went beyond the halfway line and Ayr kept coming back to try again. ICT only hit occasionally on the break with the best being Barry Robson's turn and shot past the post in the 80th minute. Ayr pressed right to the whistle including a last minute free kick which fell harmlessly to Fridge. A rare ICT attack in injury time took the pressure off the defence and finished with a low Graham shot being held by Rovde. The whistle blew and Ayr were disappointed that their pressure had not given them a winner. Caley Thistle were happy with their fourth draw in a row.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Livingston 22 14 5 3 46 21 25 47
2. Falkirk 21 12 3 6 42 33 9 39
3. Ayr United 22 10 8 4 42 31 11 38
4. Inverness CT 23 8 8 7 49 38 11 32
5. Clyde 23 7 8 8 31 33 -2 29
6. Raith Rovers 22 7 5 10 29 30 -1 26
7. Airdrieonians 23 5 9 9 33 37 -4 24
8. Ross County 20 6 6 8 21 32 -11 24
9. Alloa Athletic 22 5 7 10 24 39 -15 22
10. Morton 22 4 5 13 17 40 -23 17