Inverness CT 0 - 1 Rangers

League Match
Saturday, August 6th, 2005, 3:00 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 7,512
Referee: Calum Murray
Inverness CT  Rangers

None. Ferguson (69)

Team Managers
Craig Brewster Alex McLeish

Starting Eleven
Mark Brown
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
Darren Dods
Barry Wilson
Roy McBain
Ian Black
Craig Brewster
Craig Dargo

Michael Fraser
David Proctor
Tom Parratt
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
Liam Fox
Steven Hislop

Steven Hislop for Craig Dargo (75)
Richie Hart for Roy McBain (82)
Liam Fox for Barry Wilson (86)
Malcolm -> Rae (84)
Thompson -> Prso (72)

Ross Tokely (45)
Darren Dods (57)
Novo (55)
Ferguson (70)
FanFan (81)
Malcolm (89)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Brown (GK) 135 apps -
Ross Tokely 323 apps23 goals
Darren Dods 32 apps1 goal
Grant Munro 131 apps2 goals
Stuart Golabek 209 apps5 goals
Richard Hastings 231 apps2 goals
Roy McBain 207 apps11 goals
Ian Black 15 apps -
Barry Wilson 232 apps69 goals
Craig Dargo 2 apps -
Craig Brewster 17 apps7 goals
Liam Fox (sub) 10 apps3 goals
Richie Hart (sub) 105 apps14 goals
Steven Hislop (sub) 58 apps16 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (26 years 158 days)
Oldest Player:Grant Munro (2007 years 6 days)
Average Player Age:31 years 259 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:David Proctor (21 years 159 days)
Oldest Player:Ian Black (2007 years 6 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 239 days
Domestic Players:17 (94.44 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


ICT club historian Ian Broadfoot reports from the Tulloch Caledonian stadium on the league match against the reigning SPL champions Rangers

Rangers took all three points on their first competitive visit to Inverness but it took two top-class saves from ‘keeper Ronald Waterreus to deny Caley Thistle at least a point. A record crowd of 7512 (plus over 100 freeloaders on the A9 embankment) watched a pulsating game which really could have gone either way.

A Dado Prso long shot was blocked by the home defence in four minutes then Peter Lovenkrands hit the first of a number of shots off target. Roy McBain hit high over the Rangers goal in ten minutes then Craig Dargo created a fine opening for Craig Brewster four minutes later - Dargo sent a measured pass to the player/manager 18 yards out but he hit it first time over the bar. Just after the half hour mark a Grant Munro long throw into the Rangers box led to a sequence of headers then a blocked Brewster shot. The clearance fell to Barry Wilson on the right and his cross was headed goalwards by Darren Dods from close range. Somehow Waterreus reached it to deny what looked like a certain goal. Ross Tokely went down in the Rangers box just before the break but play was waved on. Right on the whistle a Barry Ferguson free kick from the left flashed just wide of Mark Brown's post.

Half Time: 0-0

A Lovenkrands shot was blocked by Tokely just into the second half then Nacho Novo went down in the box alongside Dods – the vocal Rangers support screamed for a penalty but nothing was given. Rangers continued to press and a Ferguson shot was deflected for a corner just on the hour mark. A Novo angled shot was punched clear by Brown then Waterreus dived to collect a long shot from Stuart Golabek. The winning goal came from a fast break upfield and good work by Prso on the right of the ICT box. He took on two defenders but managed to cut the ball back from the goal-line to Ferguson in support. The Rangers skipper neatly hit it past Brown from a couple of yards out. His celebrations with the crowd behind the goal earned him a yellow card. Novo looked odds-on to score in 74 minutes but he mishit from a good position. The home crowd were livid when Alex Rae took Wilson out of the play in 78 minutes and the referee saw nothing wrong. Lovenkrands shot over with five minutes left then Caley Thistle laid siege to the Rangers box in the last few minutes. A Liam Fox shot was blocked, Golabek shot over from 18 yards then a throw into the box from Munro was cleared amidst chaos. With two minutes of added time gone Ian Black headed down the left, found Fox infield then the ball reached Richie Hart just outside the box – he hammered the ball goalwards but Waterreus produced his second international quality save of the day to deny the equaliser. Hart held his head in despair and the Rangers camp breathed a sigh of relief as the final whistle sounded.

Full Time: 0-1

Caley Thistle were beaten and disappointed but they could be proud of a good performance.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Rangers 2 2 0 0 4 0 4 6
2. Celtic 2 1 1 0 6 4 2 4
3. Motherwell 2 1 1 0 5 4 1 4
4. Hearts 1 1 0 0 4 2 2 3
5. Inverness CT 2 1 0 1 2 1 1 3
6. Falkirk 2 1 0 1 2 2 0 3
7. Kilmarnock 2 1 0 1 4 5 -1 3
8. Hibernian 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
9. Aberdeen 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1
10. Dunfermline 2 0 1 1 1 2 -1 1
11. Dundee Utd 2 0 1 1 1 3 -2 1
12. Livingston 2 0 0 2 0 5 -5 0