Motherwell 3 - 2 Inverness CT

(After extra time)
League Cup - Rd 3
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009, 7:45 PM at Fir Park, Motherwell
Attendance: 3,905
Referee: Alan Muir
Motherwell Inverness CT

McHugh (33)
Bulvitus (94 o.g.)
Forbes (119)
Andrew Barrowman (70)
Grant Munro (110)

Team Managers
Jim Gannon Terry Butcher

Starting Eleven
O Brien
Ryan Esson
Grant Munro
Stuart Golabek
David Proctor
Lionel Djebi-Zadi
Nauris Bulvitus
Russell Duncan
Lee Cox
Johnny Hayes
Daniel Stratford
Richie Foran

Kyle Allison
Nick Ross
Andrew Barrowman
Adam Rooney
Dani Sanchez

McGarry => O Brien (73)
Murphy => McHugh (109)
Jennings => Jutkiewicz (116)
Andrew Barrowman for Daniel Stratford (63)
Nick Ross for Lionel Djebi-Zadi (99)
Adam Rooney for Richie Foran (104)

Hateley (86) David Proctor (30)
Stuart Golabek (81)
Richie Foran (90)

Red Cards
None. David Proctor (72)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ryan Esson (GK) 37 apps -
Lionel Djebi-Zadi 28 apps -
Nauris Bulvitus 11 apps1 goal
David Proctor 101 apps6 goals
Grant Munro 295 apps10 goals
Stuart Golabek 234 apps5 goals
Daniel Stratford 12 apps -
Russell Duncan 295 apps9 goals
Johnny Hayes 11 apps2 goals
Lee Cox 12 apps2 goals
Richie Foran 27 apps6 goals
Nick Ross (sub) 8 apps -
Andrew Barrowman (sub) 38 apps3 goals
Adam Rooney (sub) 48 apps8 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Lee Cox (19 years 93 days)
Oldest Player:Daniel Stratford (2011 years 54 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 53 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Lee Cox (19 years 93 days)
Oldest Player:Lionel Djebi-Zadi (2011 years 54 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 53 days
Domestic Players:16 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Grant Munro reached 10 goals for the Club.


Motherwell progressed to the quarter-finals of the Co-operative Insurance Cup with a battling win over Inverness.

Robert McHugh headed the Steelmen into the lead on 33 minutes and Dani Sanchez pulled one back in the 70th minute, before David Proctor was dismissed.

A Nauris Bulvitis extra-time own-goal handed the hosts the lead, with Grant Munro's looping header levelling the scores for Inverness 17 minutes later.

Ross Forbes sealed the win with a solo run in the dying minutes of extra-time.

Dan Stratford shot wide after Motherwell had lost the ball from their own free-kick and Richie Foran's first-time volley flew well wide after a Jonathan Hayes cross.

Inverness kept Motherwell at arm's length until the half-hour mark when Proctor was booked for a cynical foul on Jim O'Brien.

Forbes curled in the free-kick and Lukas Jutkiewicz saw his downward header blocked by Ryan Esson.

O'Brien then sent Jutkiewicz clear through the middle but the on-loan Everton striker found himself too wide after taking the ball round Esson and saw his shot blocked by the goalkeeper.

Well took a 33rd-minute lead from the same passage of play when McHugh - in for the injured John Sutton - guided Yassin Moutaouakil's powerful cross into the far corner.

The visitors got the ball forward quickly and Russell Duncan had a clear sight of goal but the midfielder's shot trundled wide.

The lively former Well striker Foran curled over with the aid of a deflection just after the break but Motherwell soon took a grip.

Jutkiewicz turned and shot straight at Esson and McHugh volleyed wide off a defender, both after crosses by Moutaouakil, who soon cut inside and had a left-footed strike saved by Esson.

Saunders glanced wide from O'Brien's cross but the visitors grabbed a shock equaliser after Forbes had been harshly penalised for a challenge on Duncan.

The home defence slacked off as Hayes curled in the free-kick and the unchallenged Barrowman headed into the corner from eight yards.

Four minutes after levelling, Inverness found themselves a man down when Proctor received his second yellow for chopping down O'Brien for the second time in quick succession.

But Esson forced extra-time with two excellent stops from chances created by Forbes.

The Inverness goalkeeper tipped Saunders' header over and somehow kept out McHugh's 82nd-minute header as the ball bounced along the line and spun out for a corner.

Motherwell continued to push forward as extra-time began. Moutaouakil had a shot parried over after being set up by Giles Coke and they went in front when Bulvitis sliced Hammell's low cross into his own net.

Well kept possession without threatening and they were again hauled back in the 110th minute when Grant Munro looped a header over John Ruddy following Hayes' corner.

Esson kept out Forbes' strike at his near post but he was soon beaten at the exact same place when the midfielder cut inside and lashed the ball into the roof of the net from 16 yards.

Esson still had time to save well from Jamie Murphy, Moutaouakil and Forbes as Well finished with a flurry.

Match report written by tm4tj