Dundee Utd 1 - 1 Inverness CT

Scottish Cup - Rd 4
Saturday, February 14th, 1998, 3:00 PM at Tannadice Park, Dundee
Attendance: 8,770
Referee: J Rowbotham
Dundee Utd Inverness CT

K Olofsson (81) Paul Sheerin (27)

Team Managers
Unknown. Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
S Dykstra
S Pressley
E Pedersen
M Malpas
M Perry
J Dolan
R McKinnon
S Jonsson
K Olofsson
G McSwegan
J Misse-Misse
Jim Calder
Richard Hastings
Paul Cherry
Vetle Andersen
Mark McCulloch
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Sandy Robertson
Paul Sheerin
Iain Stewart
Brian Thomson

A McLaren
G Marklund
M Skoldmark
Davie Ross
Barry Robson
Duncan Shearer

A McLaren -> R McKinnon (46)
G Marklund -> J Dolan (78)
M Skoldmark -> J Misse-Misse (83)
Duncan Shearer for Iain Stewart (67)
Davie Ross for Barry Wilson (80)

G McSwegan Richard Hastings
Sandy Robertson
Duncan Shearer

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 98 apps -
Paul Cherry 65 apps7 goals
Richard Hastings 114 apps2 goals
Mark McCulloch 23 apps1 goal
Vetle Andersen 25 apps -
Mike Teasdale 84 apps6 goals
Barry Wilson 62 apps13 goals
Paul Sheerin 4 apps1 goal
Sandy Robertson 10 apps1 goal
Iain Stewart 111 apps69 goals
Brian Thomson 78 apps28 goals
Davie Ross (sub) 99 apps10 goals
Duncan Shearer (sub) 19 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (20 years 277 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Sheerin (1999 years 196 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 17 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (20 years 277 days)
Oldest Player:Paul Sheerin (1999 years 196 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 285 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Paul Sheerin scored his first goal for the Club.

This was the best result in Caley Thistleís short history. They played fast skilful football and took the game to United. In the first 2 minutes they had chances through Paul Cherry and Mark McCulloch. In 5 minutes Unitedís Gary McSwegan powered into the box but was stopped by a brilliant Richard Hastings tackle. Jim Calder had the first of a series of great saves in 9 minutes then again in 19 minutes when McSwegan should have done better. Play raged from end to end. In 26 minutes Vetle Andersen tried to chest the ball to Calder but it fell at the feet of Jean Jaques Misse-Misse. He was only foiled by Calderís quick reactions. The breakthrough came in 27 minutes. Iain Stewart passed to Brian Thomson but Dijkstra stopped his 18 yard shot Ė it fell to Sheerin 15 yards out and he slammed into the roof of the net. United should have equalised in 35 minutes but Kjell Olofssonís 3 yard downwards header was stopped by Calder. In 81 minutes United equalised. Andy McLaren hooked the ball into the middle, it broke to Olofsson and he shot home through a ruck of players from 16 yards. United pressed for a winner but the Caley Thistle defence held out.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot