Change:  Go to:
23.08.2003 @ 15:00 McDiarmid Park, Perth Attendance: 3031
St. Johnstone 1 - 2 Inverness CT
Referee: J Undehill League-match

Parker (67) David Bingham (53)
Steven Hislop (74)
Starting Lineup
Mark Brown
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Stuart McCaffrey
Charlie Christie
Roy McBain
Russell Duncan
Richie Hart
David Bingham
Steven Hislop
Ally Ridgers
Grant Munro
David Proctor
Darran Thomson
Paul Ritchie
Hay -> Ferry (61)
Baxter -> Lovering (80)
Paul Ritchie -> Charlie Christie (30)
David Proctor -> Steven Hislop (80)
Yellow cards
Bobby Mann (60)
Ross Tokely (60)
Steven Hislop (60)
Red cards
None None.
Match report
A tremendous performance and a well deserved victory against the pre-season title favourites. A lively Saints side always looked capable of coming back into the game but the visitors created most of the chances and secured their first victory at McDiarmid Park. Not surprisingly a home player was named Man of the Match but it was David Bingham who really deserved the award - he scored the first goal and set up the winner. Saints started strongly but Caley Thistle soon settled and in 16 minutes Bobby Mann forced a fine save from Kevin Cuthbert with a header. A minute later a Steve Hislop angled shot was deflected for a corner. Bingham chipped past in 20 minutes then a dipping Mann free kick from 25 yards was pushed away by Cuthbert. Mixu Paatelainen had a golden chance in 27 minutes with a free header from 10 yards but his weak effort was held by Mark Brown. Charlie Christie took an early knock and was replaced by Paul Ritchie on the half hour mark. Ritchie combined with Richie Hart in 36 minutes but Harts long range shot was well over. The frantic pace continued into the second half but both defences held out for a long time. Simon Donnelly created space for himself in the visitors box in 50 minutes but a timely tackle prevented a shot. Three minutes later the deadlock was broken. A long Mann through ball set Bingham on a run goalwards he held off a defender before scoring neatly from 12 yards despite being forced off balance. A poor Cuthbert clearance in 56 minutes gave Ritchie a chance but his goal-bound shot was blocked by Darren Dods. Bingham intercepted a poor cross field ball from Paul Lovering in 66 minutes and had a clear sight of goal he chipped early but it was too high. Saints equalised a minute later when a long throw from John Robertson into the box fell for Keigan Parker and he swept home from eight yards. Saints had a good spell after this but they conceded the eventual winner in 74 minutes. Bingham took a long ball from Stuart Golabek and neatly flicked it over a defender into the path of Hislop. He ran on and hammered an angled shot past Cuthbert. Chris Hay could have scored in 77 minutes but he headed over from a good position. Caley Thistle finished strongly - a dangerous cross-goal ball from Ross Tokely effort was cleared by Dodds just ahead of Bingham then a Stuart McCaffrey shot following a corner was tipped over. A very welcome first three points of the season.