Inverness CT 0 - 2 Airdrieonians

League Cup - Round 2
Tuesday, August 22nd, 2000, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 867
Referee: H Dallas
Inverness CT  Airdrieonians

None. David Fernandez (48)
John Elliot (51)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Steve Archibald

Starting Eleven
Les Fridge
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Stuart Golabek
Charlie Christie
Barry Robson
Paul Sheerin
David Bagan
Iain Stewart
Martin Bavidge
San Juan

Jim Calder
Kevin Byers
Roy McBain
Davide Xausa
Dennis Wyness

Kevin Byers for Richard Hastings (33)
Davide Xausa for David Bagan (53)
Roy McBain for Barry Robson (70)
Evans -> Elliot (80)
Prest -> Calderon (80)

Bobby Mann
Davide Xausa
John Elliot

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Les Fridge (GK) 74 apps -
Stuart Golabek 47 apps1 goal
Ross Tokely 122 apps7 goals
Richard Hastings 197 apps2 goals
Bobby Mann 54 apps2 goals
Barry Robson 56 apps6 goals
Charlie Christie 200 apps27 goals
Paul Sheerin 107 apps33 goals
David Bagan 4 apps -
Iain Stewart 136 apps81 goals
Martin Bavidge 51 apps9 goals
Roy McBain (sub) 4 apps -
Kevin Byers (sub) 45 apps2 goals
Davide Xausa (sub) 25 apps12 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (21 years 173 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2002 years 21 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 149 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (21 years 173 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2002 years 21 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 145 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Charlie Christie made his 200th competitive appearance for the Club.

A dismal performance by the home side and a deserved win for Airdrie's foreign legion. The first half produced few moments of note and neither goalkeeper was greatly troubled. In 24 minutes a Ross Tokely deep cross from the right beat Sanchez Broto but came off the bar. Richard Hastings was stretchered off after 33 minutes with knee ligament damage and this meant defensive reorganisation. On the stroke of half time Les Fridge beat out an angled shot from Austin McCann and Ross Tokely completed the clearance. The second half belonged to Airdrie and they took the lead in 48 minutes. Stuart Golabek conceded a penalty when he brought down David Fernandez. McCann took the penalty but hit the bar. It fell to Darren Brady who also hit the bar but Fernandez was at the back post to score. Three minutes later a run by Fernandez down the left caught the defence by surprise and he passed infield to the unmarked John Elliott. Elliott drew Fridge and netted easily. Caley Thistle put some pressure on Airdrie but nothing came of it. On the hour mark Martin Bavidge sent a good ball into the box but Iain Stewart and Paul Sheerin were crowded out. In 72 minutes Stewart hit a low cross across goal and Bavidge sent in a glancing header which was cleared. His follow up shot was also booted away. A minute later Broto punched out a Sheerin cross. A Davide Xausa blocked shot in 83 minutes was the only other Caley Thistle effort of note and Airdrie easily held on to win.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot