Inverness CT 1 - 2 Stranraer

Challenge Cup - Round 2
Saturday, September 2nd, 2000, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 664
Referee: J Rowbotham
Inverness CT  Stranraer

Martin Bavidge (57)
Derek Rae (35)
Ian Harty (pen 48)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Billy Mclaren

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Ross Tokely
Bobby Mann
Charlie Christie
Barry Robson
Paul Sheerin
David Hind
David Bagan
Roy McBain
Iain Stewart
Martin Bavidge
Ian Harty
Derek Rae

Les Fridge
Stuart Golabek
Kevin Byers
Dennis Wyness

Kevin Byers for David Hind (59)
Dennis Wyness for Barry Robson (65)
Johnstone -> McDonald (36)
Hughes -> Rae (61)
Baikie -> Hughes (86)

Roy McBain
A Paterson
P Blair

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 150 apps -
Ross Tokely 124 apps7 goals
Bobby Mann 56 apps2 goals
Barry Robson 58 apps6 goals
Paul Sheerin 109 apps33 goals
Charlie Christie 202 apps27 goals
David Hind 7 apps -
David Bagan 5 apps -
Roy McBain 6 apps -
Iain Stewart 138 apps82 goals
Martin Bavidge 52 apps10 goals
Kevin Byers (sub) 47 apps2 goals
Dennis Wyness (sub) 38 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (21 years 184 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2002 years 32 days)
Average Player Age:31 years 293 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (21 years 184 days)
Oldest Player:David Hind (2002 years 32 days)
Average Player Age:31 years 310 days
Domestic Players:15 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Martin Bavidge reached 10 goals for the Club.

Caley Thistle should have won this game easily but they only managed one goal despite creating many chances. Stranraer had few shots on goal but scored twice. In 9 minutes Martin Bavidge tried to chip on-form keeper Mark McGeown but failed. Two minutes later Iain Stewart shot past the post then in 19 minutes McGeown parried a Paul Sheerin effort. In 22 minutes Bavidge again tried a lob but McGeown tipped it over. Jim Calder held an Ian Harty low drive at the other end in 29 minutes and 6 minutes later Stranraer scored with their only other chance of the first half. A cross from the right was headed wide of Calder by the unmarked Derek Rae. The decisive moment of the match came three minutes into the second half when Calder downed Rae and Ian Harty converted the penalty. Things looked brighter for the home side when Bobby Mann sent over a lob and Bavidge scored with a neat glancing header. Bavidge proceeded to miss four good chances after being well set up. On the hour mark he volleyed past after good work by Charlie Christie and Iain Stewart then in 65 minutes he was clean through but first timed it over the bar. In 70 minutes Bavidge was again through but his attempted chip over McGeown was well saved. In 70 minutes Christie set him up well but he hit it past the post. Stranraer rarely ventured upfield but held out to win.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot