Inverness CT 7 - 3 Ayr United

League - Wyness hat-trick
Saturday, December 2nd, 2000, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 1,513
Referee: G Mitchell
Inverness CT  Ayr United

Mike Teasdale (8)
Paul Sheerin (pen.) (17)
Dennis Wyness (42)
David Bagan (58)
David Bagan (73)
Dennis Wyness (79)
Dennis Wyness (86)
Eddie Annand (10)
Hugh Robertson (11)
Glynne Hurst (48)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Gordon Dalziel

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Richard Hastings
Bobby Mann
Stuart McCaffrey
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Paul Sheerin
David Bagan
Roy McBain
Martin Bavidge
Dennis Wyness

Les Fridge
Ross Tokely
Barry Robson
Kevin Byers
Davide Xausa

Davide Xausa for Martin Bavidge (67)
Ross Tokely for Mike Teasdale (75)
Barry Robson for Roy McBain (84)
McEwan -> Annand (46)
Reynolds -> Teale (49)
Bradford -> Lovering (75)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. Craig McEwan (82)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 163 apps -
Stuart McCaffrey 12 apps -
Richard Hastings 201 apps2 goals
Bobby Mann 66 apps3 goals
Paul Sheerin 122 apps40 goals
Charlie Christie 214 apps27 goals
Mike Teasdale 182 apps18 goals
David Bagan 18 apps4 goals
Roy McBain 18 apps2 goals
Dennis Wyness 47 apps11 goals
Martin Bavidge 64 apps13 goals
Ross Tokely (sub) 135 apps7 goals
Barry Robson (sub) 67 apps7 goals
Davide Xausa (sub) 37 apps15 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (23 years 204 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2002 years 123 days)
Average Player Age:32 years 205 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (21 years 275 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Bavidge (2002 years 123 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 261 days
Domestic Players:15 (93.75 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A day on which it rained goals and the score could have gone either way. Two attacking teams provided a great spectacle despite the windy conditions. Caley Thistle nearly went a goal down in two minutes after a goalmouth scramble but were rescued by a Jim Calder save and a goal line clearance. Steven Boyack went on a solo run in 8 minutes but shot straight at Calder. The opening came at the other end in 8 minutes when a Richard Hastings low cross from the left fell for Mike Teasdale 18 yards out. The big defender hit it low into the corner for his third goal in four weeks. Ayr hit back with two goals in a minute. In 10 minutes Glynn Hurst sent over a cross from the left and Eddie Annand's header went in off the post. A minute later Hugh Robertson scored with a low ball after a strong solo run. In 17 minutes Dennis Wyness was brought down just inside the box by Paul Lovering and Paul Sheerin equalised from the penalty spot. Play raged from end to end then in 42 minutes Wyness made it 3-2. David Bagan set Martin Bavidge off down the right and his cross was touched home by the sliding foot of Wyness. Ayr hit back just after half time when a Boyack close range shot came off the post and fell for Hurst who scored with an angled drive. Bagan gave Caley Thistle the lead in 58 minutes with a cheeky 20 yard lob after spotting Craig Nelson off his line. At this point the game could still have ended in a draw or even an Ayr win but Bagan put the result beyond doubt in 73 minutes with a candidate for goal of the season. Sheerin took a corner, played a one-two with Teasdale then passed to Bagan who hit a rocket shot into the roof of the net from 18 yards. It was all one way after that and Wyness scored number 6 with a close range overhead kick in 79 minutes after Davide Xausa had hit the ball across goal and the Ayr defence failed to clear. Ayr substitute Craig McEwan was sent off in 81 minutes for a late tackle on Roy McBain. With 4 minutes left a Sheerin pass split the defence and found Wyness in space. The striker completed his hat trick when he rounded Nelson and stroked the ball into the empty net. It could have been eight just before the end when a Barry Robson shot came off Nelson but he managed to catch Xausa's follow up effort. The home supporters cheered their team off the pitch as the Ayr fans called for the head of manager Gordon Dalziel; an unfair reaction when they had played so well for so long. A match to remember for a long time.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Livingston 16 10 4 2 37 17 20 34
2. Falkirk 17 10 1 6 34 29 5 31
3. Ayr United 17 8 6 3 33 28 5 30
4. Inverness CT 17 7 3 7 36 29 7 24
5. Clyde 17 6 6 5 25 22 3 24
6. Raith Rovers 16 6 3 7 25 22 3 21
7. Ross County 17 5 4 8 16 29 -13 19
8. Alloa Athletic 17 4 5 8 17 31 -14 17
9. Morton 17 4 4 9 15 27 -12 16
10. Airdrieonians 17 3 6 8 26 30 -4 15