Forfar Athletic 1 - 2 Inverness CT

League Cup - Grp A
Saturday, July 29th, 2017, 3:00 PM at Station Park, Forfar,
Attendance: 517
Referee: Gavin Duncan
Forfar Athletic Inverness CT

Marc Scott (49) George Oakley (54)
John Baird (55)

Team Managers
Gary Bollan John Robertson

Starting Eleven
Marc McCallum
Michael Travis
Edward Malone
Andy Munro
Simon Mensing
Jamie Bain
David Cox
Mark Millar
Marc Scott
James Lister
Ousman See
Mark Ridgers
David Raven
Brad Mckay
Riccardo Calder
Matthew Elsdon
Joe Chalmers
Iain Vigurs
Liam Polworth
Ross Draper
John Baird
George Oakley

Jason King
Scott McBride
Dylan Easton
Matthew Aitken
Greg Warwick
Jamie Gill
Michael Kennedy
Ryan Esson
Jake Mulraney
Liam Macdonald
Alex Cooper
Felitciano Zschusschen
Connor Bell

Scott McBride -> Mark Millar (52)
Matthew Aitken -> David Cox (80)
Felitciano Zschusschen for George Oakley (71)
Jake Mulraney for Riccardo Calder (76)
Connor Bell for John Baird (84)

Andy Munro (88) Riccardo Calder (74)
John Baird (80)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Ridgers (GK) 4 apps -
Matthew Elsdon 4 apps -
Riccardo Calder 4 apps -
Joe Chalmers 4 apps -
Brad Mckay 32 apps1 goal
David Raven 167 apps4 goals
Iain Vigurs 104 apps16 goals
Ross Draper 206 apps16 goals
Liam Polworth 118 apps10 goals
George Oakley 4 apps2 goals
John Baird 4 apps1 goal
Jake Mulraney (sub) 35 apps -
Connor Bell (sub) 1 app (debut) -
Felitciano Zschusschen (sub) 3 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Matthew Elsdon (20 years 40 days)
Oldest Player:David Raven (32 years 149 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 282 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Liam Macdonald (17 years 301 days)
Oldest Player:Ryan Esson (37 years 141 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 158 days
Domestic Players:9 (52.94 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Connor Bell(Signed July 29th, 2017)

John Baird scored his first goal for the Club.

Liam Polworth had a first half penalty saved by Loons keeper Marc McCallum, who also made some excellent saves to deny Iain Vigurs, John Baird and Ricardo Calder after the spot kick. All the goals came in the second period with Forfar opening through Mark Scott. The lead was short lived and George Oakley and John Baird had Inverness in front six minutes later. That was how it finished, but it was not enough for Inverness to progress in the competition.

Connor Bell signed for Inverness in the morning of this game and earned a seat on the bench, Jake Mulraney joining him. David Raven started at right back with Collin Seedorf injured, and Mathew Elsdon was at centre back with Gary Warren still injured.

Immortal Howden Ender has this report for us, hot off the press.............


Well we bowed out of the Betfred Cup at far too early a stage. The Bairns were always going to be a tough nut to crack but we should have hit the nine points from the other three. John Robertson certainly played it down with – “We’ve had a decent League Cup without being hugely impressive – It’s been four matches against quality opponents (!!) that has put us in good stead for the league campaign and allowed us to gel and get fitness levels up”. Hopefully he really meant – “I have now had a chance to look at everybody and I know the way forward”.

Station Park may be difficult to find but it is a homely wee stadium and the “astro turf” looks in very good condition. (OK I prefer grass maself). The wind was strong assisted by the intermittent spells of drizzle. We certainly played better when faced to play football against the elements in the first half. The second half became more of a punt which did not work well with the wind and the pitch.

I note that the attendance was quoted at 517 but looked more to me. Good turnout from the Highlands – must have been 100-150. The Central Belters/Juanjo Away were well represented and driven to the game from Dundee by none other than a taxi driver called Bobby Mann. Me – I arrived there – by feckin car – 20 minutes before the kick off with Mrs Johndo and Mini IHE – stone cold feckin sober !! At least my grandson (Leighton) had a winning start to his ICT career.

We totally dominated the first 45 as we had to play football in its true sense. We could have/should have gone in 3-0 up. The final ball/ the final strike was sadly missing. We played some neat stuff but basically fecked it all up at the close. Calder could have netted a hat-trick. Just after the half hour we had a chance to practically ease the game. Initially it looked like a soft penalty award and a trip on Baird but it was reported as being a hand ball. Not sure why Vigurs did not step up but it was left to Polly – possibly to boost his confidence (DOH). It was really a very poor strike and adds to our penalty taking woes.

Four minutes after the restart Marc Scott put Forfar ahead. Perhaps Ridgers was partly to blame but David Cox made a fool out of Chalmers and the initial shot, well saved by Ridgers, should never have been allowed to be completed. Yngwie and I were joking earlier that Cox had enjoyed his summer holidays as he was clearly overweight. But then he tormented Chalmers which says it all.

Perhaps that was a wake up call and at least we reacted. Five minutes later McCallum was at fault as he pulled out of a 50/50 with Baird. The ball went loose and George Oakley neatly tucked it away. Before you could say Inverness Caledonian Thistle a Polworth corner was headed on and John Baird hit a screamer at the back post. And the photo does not lie as Mini IHE shows his seerness by evidently predicting the outcome !!

After that I was expecting a barrowload but we appeared to relax. Substitutions may not have helped but we were careless. We did not possess the killing off factor and nearly paid the price. So it was back to the 1984 Lounge for the Juanjo Away and a pickup by Bobby Mann. I headed to Camperdown Park to run the feckin dog, went to Tesco and had ma first feckin swally at 20.00 hrs. So feck the family it is Virgin Rail on my own from now on.

Match report written by tm4tj/IHE