Inverness CT 3 - 1 Whitehill Welfare

Scottish Cup - Rd 1
Saturday, December 6th, 1997, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 1,173
Referee: J Herald
Inverness CT  Whitehill Welfare

Iain Stewart (pen.) (4)
Iain Stewart (20)
Barry Wilson (80)
Martin (67)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Unknown.

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Richard Hastings
Paul Cherry
Vetle Andersen
Mark McCulloch
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Barry Robson
Iain Stewart
Brian Thomson
Duncan Shearer
H Sneddon

Ross Tokely
Davie Ross
Wayne Addicoat
M Sneddon

Wayne Addicoat for Barry Robson (62)
Ross Tokely for Brian Thomson (68)
Davie Ross for Duncan Shearer (76)
M Sneddon -> McGovern (82)
Wood -> Jardine (82)

None. Tulloch

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 89 apps -
Vetle Andersen 17 apps -
Paul Cherry 56 apps4 goals
Richard Hastings 105 apps2 goals
Mark McCulloch 14 apps1 goal
Barry Robson 8 apps -
Mike Teasdale 75 apps5 goals
Barry Wilson 53 apps9 goals
Duncan Shearer 12 apps2 goals
Iain Stewart 103 apps65 goals
Brian Thomson 69 apps24 goals
Ross Tokely (sub) 38 apps2 goals
Davie Ross (sub) 91 apps9 goals
Wayne Addicoat (sub) 31 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (20 years 207 days)
Oldest Player:Barry Robson (1999 years 126 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 312 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Wayne Addicoat (18 years 177 days)
Oldest Player:Barry Robson (1999 years 126 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 217 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Caley Thistle were never in any danger of losing but Whitehill gave them a fright or two. Whitehill could have taken a shock lead in 2 minutes when the ball fell to David Millar 15 yards out but he failed to control it and Cherry cleared. In 4 minutes Wilson ran strongly into the box and was brought down. Stewart clinically slotted home the penalty to give the home side the lead. In 20 minutes it was 2-0. Teasdale sent Wilson away down the right – he ran to the edge of the box and crossed it for Stewart to hit home at the back post. Whitehill were under pressure for the rest of the half as Caley Thistle tried without success to extend their lead. Scott Cantley in the Whitehill goal was a hero. In 34 minutes Shearer set up Stewart on the edge of the box but his strong shot was well saved by Cantley. Two minutes later Cantley saved a close range Shearer header and on the stroke of half time Stewart weaved in the box and shot well but the ‘keeper saved again. Whitehill started the second half well and in 50 minutes Calder made a double save from Hugh Sneddon. Whitehill came back into the game in 67 minutes when Craig Martin scored from a penalty after Calder had tripped Keith Jardine. They could have equalsed in 73 minutes when Jardine connected with a cross but hit it just past. The game was over in 80 minutes when Cherry set up a run for Wilson – he raced into the box and shot home from a difficult angle. With 4 minutes left Stewart turned and shot in the box but was again denied his hat trick by Cantley.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot