Inverness CT 8 - 1 Annan Athletic

Scottish Cup - Rd 3
Saturday, January 24th, 1998, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 1,836
Referee: J Underhill
Inverness CT  Annan Athletic

Barry Wilson (14)
Iain Stewart (17)
Brian Thomson (20)
Barry Robson (38)
Brian Thomson (55)
Stanley Leslie (o.g.) (74)
Barry Wilson (84)
Duncan Shearer (86)
Montgomerie (8)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Unknown.

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Richard Hastings
Paul Cherry
Vetle Andersen
Mark McCulloch
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Barry Robson
Sandy Robertson
Iain Stewart
Brian Thomson

Ross Tokely
Davie Ross
Duncan Shearer

Duncan Shearer for Barry Robson (66)
Ross Tokely for Paul Cherry (76)
Hewitt -> Montgomerie (76)
Pratt -> Proudfoot (76)

None. Sutherland

Red Cards
None. Leslie (86)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 95 apps -
Richard Hastings 111 apps2 goals
Mark McCulloch 20 apps1 goal
Vetle Andersen 23 apps -
Paul Cherry 62 apps7 goals
Mike Teasdale 81 apps6 goals
Barry Wilson 59 apps13 goals
Sandy Robertson 7 apps1 goal
Barry Robson 12 apps3 goals
Brian Thomson 75 apps27 goals
Iain Stewart 109 apps69 goals
Ross Tokely (sub) 41 apps2 goals
Duncan Shearer (sub) 16 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (20 years 256 days)
Oldest Player:Barry Robson (1999 years 175 days)
Average Player Age:29 years 361 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (18 years 327 days)
Oldest Player:Sandy Robertson (1999 years 175 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 234 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


The home side demolished a determined Annan side after an early fright. A loose ball found Norman Montgomery clear inside the Inverness half and he lobbed the ball over Jim Calder. Caley Thistle stormed upfield and scored 3 goals in a 6 minute spell. In 16 minutes Barry Wilson was set up by Iain Stewart just inside the area and he drove the ball low past Robert McColm. Three minutes later Brian Thomson slipped it to Stewart on the 18 yard line and he sent a low ball past the ‘keeper. On the 20 minute mark Thomson was fouled just outside the box – he took the kick himself and sent it into the top corner. A fourth goal came in the 38th minute. Thomson and Stewart set up Barry Robson down the right and he headed straight for goal. Under strong pressure Robson hit it home. In 55 minutes Mark McCulloch cleared upfield from the half-way line and found Stewart who ran through the defence and slipped it to the side of the ‘keeper – he unselfishly sent it across to Thomson who only had to tap it in. In 74 minutes it was 6-1. A Vetle Andersen cross from the left went in off the head of defender Stanley Leslie. 10 minutes later Wilson got the seventh with a low drive from 15 yards and with 4 minutes left substitute Duncan Shearer rose above the Annan defence on the penalty spot and headed in an Andersen cross to complete the 8-1 record score. Annan’s bad tempered tackling was finally punished in 86 minutes when Stanley Leslie was sent off. Caley Thistle now play Dundee United at Tannadice on February 14th.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot