Inverness CT 1 - 0 Partick Thistle

League Match
Tuesday, August 4th, 1998, 7:00 PM at Firhill Park, Glasgow
Attendance: 1,998
Referee: R Orr
Inverness CT  Partick Thistle

Barry Wilson (57)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Tommy Bryce

Starting Eleven
Jim Calder
Paul Cherry
Mark McCulloch
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Barry Robson
Paul Sheerin
Gary Farquhar
Scott McLean
Duncan Shearer
Kenny Arthur
David Kennedy
Willie Jamieson
Alan Archibald
Graham Connell
Jim Lauchlan
Tommy Bryce
Alan Morgan
Tommy Callaghan
Mark Donaghy

Iain MacArthur
Grant Munro
Martin Bavidge
Sammy Johnston
Robert Dunn
Jamie McKenzie

Martin Bavidge for Duncan Shearer (81)

Barry Wilson

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Jim Calder (GK) 115 apps -
Mark McCulloch 39 apps3 goals
Paul Cherry 78 apps11 goals
Paul Sheerin 22 apps6 goals
Gary Farquhar 2 apps -
Mike Teasdale 98 apps8 goals
Barry Wilson 78 apps16 goals
Barry Robson 29 apps5 goals
Charlie Christie 122 apps22 goals
Scott McLean 31 apps11 goals
Duncan Shearer 30 apps7 goals
Martin Bavidge (sub) 2 apps -

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Scott McLean (22 years 53 days)
Oldest Player:Barry Robson (2000 years 2 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 131 days
Domestic Players:11 (100.00 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Scott McLean (22 years 53 days)
Oldest Player:Gary Farquhar (2000 years 2 days)
Average Player Age:30 years 155 days
Domestic Players:14 (100.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A battling performance by Caley Thistle as they deservedly beat Partick Thistle. Partick's Mark Donaghy had a chance in 90 seconds when he ran down the left but his cross was missed by Graham Connell in the box. In 7 minutes Teasdale made a strong run and chipped it to Duncan Shearer � he headed just past. The miss of the match came in 13 minutes when Bryce picked up a loose ball, ran into the area but failed with only Jim Calder to beat. On the half hour mark Teasdale again ran from his own half and took a return pass from Wilson in the box but he hit it well past. With a minute of the half remaining Wilson set up Shearer but his low shot was well saved. From the restart Gary Farquhar hit a good 20 yard shot but it was deflected for a corner. In 48 minutes McLean and McCulloch combined in the box but the captains final pass failed to find Robson. Two minutes later McCulloch cleared a dangerous ball when a Johnston cross nearly set up Morgan. At the other end a kind bounce set up Robson but he passed to McLean in an offside position. The only goal came in 57 minutes when Christie controlled it on the edge of the box then passed to Wilson running in but the winger sent it low past Arthur from a difficult angle. Partick had a strong spell midway through the second half. A Lauchlan shot was deflected then a Kennedy header was saved by Calder. A lob from Lauchlan was sent for a corner by Paul Sheerin then a Tommy Callaghan long shot went past. A Farquhar 19 yard effort was blocked in 75 minutes then two minutes later Calder saved a close-range shot from Robert Dunn. Partick surged forward in the last 10 minutes. In the last minute Calder punched the ball half-clear from Johnston and Cherry finished the job. Calder then made a fine save from a Connell header. Farquhar took the pressure off his defence in injury time with a good run. He set up McLean on the right then took the return pass and shot from 15 yards. Arthur saved it but this used up time and the game was over.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Clyde 1 1 0 0 2 0 2 3
2. East Fife 1 1 0 0 2 0 2 3
3. Forfar Athletic 1 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
4. Inverness CT 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 3
5. Livingston 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
6. Stirling Albion 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1
7. Alloa Athletic 1 0 0 1 1 2 -1 0
8. Partick Thistle 1 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
9. Arbroath 1 0 0 1 0 2 -2 0
10. Queen of the South 1 0 0 1 0 2 -2 0