Inverness CT 1 - 1 Alloa Athletic

League Match
Saturday, May 8th, 1999, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 2,662
Referee: G Simpson
Inverness CT  Alloa Athletic

Iain Stewart (84)
Derek Clark (85)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Terry Christie

Starting Eleven
Les Fridge
Richard Hastings
Ross Tokely
Mark McCulloch
Bobby Mann
Charlie Christie
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Paul Sheerin
Scott McLean
Duncan Shearer

Andrew Allan
Iain Stewart
Martin Glancy

Iain Stewart for Scott McLean (55)
Martin Glancy for Duncan Shearer (67)
Andrew Allan for Barry Wilson (75)
Simpson -> McKechnie (76)
Valentine -> Allan (81)

None. Clark

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Les Fridge (GK) 32 apps -
Richard Hastings 154 apps2 goals
Bobby Mann 13 apps -
Ross Tokely 76 apps3 goals
Mark McCulloch 73 apps7 goals
Charlie Christie 157 apps26 goals
Paul Sheerin 59 apps16 goals
Mike Teasdale 135 apps12 goals
Barry Wilson 115 apps29 goals
Scott McLean 67 apps30 goals
Duncan Shearer 61 apps19 goals
Andrew Allan (sub) 14 apps -
Iain Stewart (sub) 127 apps75 goals
Martin Glancy (sub) 13 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (20 years 66 days)
Oldest Player:Mark McCulloch (2000 years 279 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 206 days
Domestic Players:10 (90.91 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ross Tokely (20 years 66 days)
Oldest Player:Martin Glancy (2000 years 279 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 343 days
Domestic Players:13 (92.86 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Iain Stewart reached 75 goals for the Club.

A flat match which in the end meant nothing as Livingston beat Forfar to clinch the Division 2 Championship. Caley Thistle were well ahead but could not take their chances. Alloa defended well - particularly keeper Mark Cairns - and occasionally hit on the break. In 6 minutes Paul Sheerin ran into the Alloa area but his shot was tipped away by Cairns. Charlie Christie did the same in 13 minutes but his shot was headed by Paul McAneny to his keeper. Four minutes later Sheerin sent a neat lob to Duncan Shearer just outside the box but Cairns beat him to it. In 20 minutes Barry Wilson was through on the left but instead of shooting he hit it across goal but no one was there. In a rare counter-attack on the 23 minute mark Alloa's Stuart McKay headed past the post. A minute later Cairns again came to Alloa's rescue when he saved two strong Scott McLean shots. On the half hour there was panic in the home defence and this nearly gave McKay a chance but the ball was bundled away. With a minute of the half left Mike Teasdale made a solo run into the Alloa box but his final shot was hit at the keeper. Iain Stewart added bite to the home attack when he came on and in 58 minutes he shot over the bar. A minute later Wilson was grounded but managed to flick the ball to Teasdale, he volleyed goalwards but Cairns produced the save of the game to push it away. With 10 minutes left Teasdale ran from midfield, played a one-two with Martin Glancy but hit it over the bar from 7 yards. In 83 minutes Cairns tipped away a Mark McCulloch 22 yard rocket. With 6 minutes left a Sheerin corner fell to Stewart on the 6 yard line and he volleyed into the net from a difficult angle. From the restart Alloa stormed upfield and when Fridge failed to hold a Paul Simpson low ball Derek Clark slid it home for the equaliser. The game petered out and the Championship challenge was over. On the plus side Caley Thistle maintained their unbeaten league home record for the season and can look forward to Division One.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Livingston 36 22 11 3 66 35 31 77
2. Inverness CT 36 21 9 6 80 48 32 72
3. Clyde 36 15 8 13 46 42 4 53
4. Queen of the South 36 13 9 14 50 45 5 48
5. Alloa Athletic 36 13 7 16 65 56 9 46
6. Stirling Albion 36 12 8 16 50 63 -13 44
7. Arbroath 36 12 8 16 37 52 -15 44
8. Partick Thistle 36 12 7 17 36 45 -9 43
9. East Fife 36 12 6 18 42 64 -22 42
10. Forfar Athletic 36 8 7 21 48 70 -22 31