Hearts 2 - 3 Inverness CT

League Match
Saturday, February 23rd, 2013, 3:00 PM at Tynecastle Stadium, Edinburgh
Attendance: 11,325
Referee: Bobby Madden
Hearts Inverness CT

Jason Holt (55)
Andy Webster (74)
Gary Warren (15)
Billy Mckay (61)
Gary Warren (77)

Team Managers
John McGlynn Terry Butcher

Starting Eleven
Jamie MacDonald
Fraser Mullen
Andy Webster
Danny Wilson
Kevin McHattie
Jamie Walker
Jason Holt
Darren Barr
Callum Tapping
Arvydas Novikovas
Michael Ngoo
Ryan Esson
Gary Warren
David Raven
Daniel Devine
Nick Ross
Graeme Shinnie
Aaron Doran
Andrew Shinnie
Owain Tudur Jones
Ross Draper
Billy Mckay

Mark Ridgers
John Sutton
Mehdi Taouil
Gordon Smith
Denis Prychynenko
Dylan McGowan
Billy King
Antonio Reguero
Charlie Taylor
Liam Polworth
Martin Laing
Conor Pepper
Jordan Gibbons
Shane Sutherland

John Sutton => Fraser Mullen (64)
Billy King => Arvydas Novikovas (72)
Gordon Smith => Jamie Walker (86)
Shane Sutherland for Billy Mckay (79)
Charlie Taylor for Aaron Doran (90)

Michael Ngoo (1)
Darren Barr (52)
Daniel Devine (24)
Owain Tudur Jones (39)
Graeme Shinnie (50)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ryan Esson (GK) 155 apps -
Daniel Devine 3 apps -
David Raven 33 apps -
Gary Warren 34 apps6 goals
Aaron Doran 62 apps4 goals
Graeme Shinnie 90 apps2 goals
Andrew Shinnie 54 apps21 goals
Nick Ross 95 apps7 goals
Owain Tudur Jones 44 apps2 goals
Ross Draper 30 apps4 goals
Billy Mckay 58 apps25 goals
Charlie Taylor (sub) 2 apps -
Shane Sutherland (sub) 87 apps3 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Daniel Devine (20 years 174 days)
Oldest Player:Andrew Shinnie (2014 years 209 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 285 days
Domestic Players:5 (45.45 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Liam Polworth (18 years 139 days)
Oldest Player:Graeme Shinnie (2014 years 209 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 211 days
Domestic Players:12 (66.67 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Billy Mckay scored for the 25th time for the Club.

Heads up, we're second:

Inverness thrust themselves back into second place in the SPL with a gutsy performance at Tynecastle to gain a modicum of revenge for the League Cup defeat at the hands of Hearts.  We were always on top in a sometimes towsy encounter that developed into a nail biter before the end.  Gary Warren opened the scoring in the first half with a header from Aaron Doran's free kick but Jason Holt belted a drive home 10 minutes after the break.  Billy McKay nodded in his first for a while and Andy Webster wrong footed Ryan Esson with a massive deflection to restore parity.  However, Gary Warren wrapped up the points when he powered a header beyond MacDonald with around fifteen minutes left to end the scoring and end Inverness' recent run of poor results.

Inverness had to re-shuffle the pack slightly with Josh Meekings picking up a late injury and Daniel Devine stepping in at the last minute.  Ryan Esson continued in goal and as expected Richie Foran sat this one out with Nick Ross filling his boots.  Hearts had the human windmill, Mr Ngoo up front looking to cause havoc once more with his flailing limbs and John Sutton starting on the bench.  John McGlynn kept faith with the youngsters who will be the future of Hearts with the big money earners elsewhere.

It didn't take Ngoo long to make his mark on the game, less than thirty seconds gone when he physically and aggressively shoved Gary Warren to the deck after a brief encounter, this earned the windmill a yellow card which could easily have been red. Naughty boy, and a lucky boy!  This did not deter him though and he managed to see out the match whilst continually interfering with his opposing numbers, but Gary Warren had the last laugh and his match winning performance was right out of the top drawer.

Capital Caley will have a full report for us once he recovers.............

Warren at the Double

There was a sense of relief at full time that Caley Thistle had finally got back to winning ways.  The small band of ICT fans witnessed an entertaining game, particularly in the second half.  As usual for a Hearts away game, many of the away day regulars met at Diggers.  Two of the Highland Marchers walked from Linlithgow.  Somehow one of them (I won't say who) misread the map and added another 5 miles more to the journey than planned.  The welcome sight of many ICT regulars was our reward for the 23 mile yomp.  A few of us then headed down to the Gorgie Suite (later renamed the Gary Warren Suite) to meet ICT fans from the Official Travel Club.  Most fans were fairly confident going into the game despite the recent poor results. 

The last time Inverness had won at Tynecastle was in 2007.  ICT won 3-2 that day with goals from Russell Duncan, John Rankin and a last minute Graeme Bayne penalty.  Fast forward 6 years and the same score line saw Caley Thistle beat Hearts in style to take second place from Motherwell who were beaten in Dingwall by FC Global Energy. 

Hearts should have been down to ten men after only 22 seconds.  The SPL’s highest scoring defender Gary Warren got into a tussle with Liverpool loanee Michael Ngoo.  Ngoo lashed out at Warren shoving him with both hands straight to the deck.  Referee Bobby Madden saw the incident but decided to issue only a yellow card.    Bizarre.  Two minutes later Ngoo brought down Warren again with a clumsy challenge.  This was to set a precedent for the rest of the match.  Somehow, Ngoo lasted the whole 90 minutes, but Warren had him in his back pocket the whole match. 

Hearts had a chance to open the scoring after 5 minutes, but Andy Websters half volley sailed well over the bar.  It was end to end football in the first 15 minutes with both teams looking like they could score.  However, it was the Caley Jags that opened the scoring a quarter of an hour in.  Aaron Doran curled in a cross that saw the inrushing Gary WARREN outjump the Hearts defence and power the ball past Jamie MacDonald and into the back of the net.  Two minutes later, Caley Thistle nearly doubled their lead.  Owain Tudur-Jones stepped up to take a free kick from around 30 yards out and with a chorus of ‘SHOOOOOT’ from the ICT fans, his powerful shot went just wide of the post with MacDonald beaten. 

After 25 minutes, Danny Devine (in for the injured Josh Meekings) went into the referees book for a challenge on Ngoo.  It was an absolute pathetic decision by Madden and highlighted yet again more inconsistencies from him.  After 34 minutes, Andrew Shinnie found Billy McKay who beat his man and slotted the ball into the back of the net.  However, the linesman called it offside.  If it was offside it must have been very close.  After 38 minutes Andrew Shinnie gave away a free kick much to the fury of the ICT players and support.  Owain Tudur-Jones received a yellow card for arguing.  At half time, Caley Thistle deserved their lead and we were all hopeful of adding to the score line in the second half. 

Half Time 0-1

Four minutes into the second half Graeme Shinnie received a caution and into Bobby Maddens book.  Nine minutes after the re-start Darren Barr's cross found Jason HOLT who powered the ball into the top right corner of the net to level the scores.  Inverness responded brilliantly and only 6 minutes later regained their lead.  Ross Draper's cross found Billy McKAY who headed the ball from close range into the Hearts net.  Inverness were deservedly back in front.  With only 16 minutes left however, Hearts equalised again.  Nick Ross cleared the ball off the line with a header but in the bedlam in the box the ball fell to Andy WEBSTER.  His shot took a wicked and unfortunate deflection off Danny Devine leaving Ryan Esson with no chance. 

Hearts nearly took the lead only minutes later.  Jamie Walker's powerful shot was brilliantly saved by Esson to deny Hearts.  On the 76th minute, Caley Thistle deservedly regained the lead.  Graeme Shinnie's corner found Gary WARREN who beat his man to bullet the ball into the corner of the net with his head.  His second of the game and sixth goal of the season.  Hopefully there is more to come before the season is out.  Minutes later Shane Sutherland came on for Billy McKay.  In the last minute Charlie Taylor replaced the impressive Aaron Doran.  With the clock ticking down, Shane Sutherland should have secured the win for ICT.  As he broke free of his man and ended up one on one with MacDonald, he appeared to slow down and under a challenge from the defender he sliced the ball high and wide over the bar and out for a goal kick.  Fantastic defensive clearance by Shane. 

Full Time 2-3

Luckily that was to be one of the last kicks of the ball as Inverness held out deserved 3-2 winners.  It was great to see Terry's famous celebrations again.  It feels like it has been too long.  Some of the Caley Away supporters made their way back to the Gary Warren Suite for some refreshments.  We tried our best not to gloat too much.  Back to winning ways.  Back to second.  Lets stay there.  

CapitalCaleys Man of the Match:-  It simply HAS to be Gary Warren.  Two great goals and another solid performance from him marshalling the defence.  Aaron Doran and Nicky Ross are worth a mention as well for causing Hearts so many problems.

Match report written by capital caley

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Celtic 27 18 5 4 62 21 41 59
2. Inverness CT 27 10 11 6 53 46 7 41
3. Motherwell 27 11 7 9 43 38 5 40
4. St. Johnstone 28 10 10 8 34 33 1 40
5. Ross County 27 9 11 7 35 34 1 38
6. Kilmarnock 28 9 10 9 41 36 5 37
7. Hibernian 27 10 7 10 34 34 0 37
8. Aberdeen 28 9 10 9 33 35 -2 37
9. Dundee Utd 27 9 9 9 43 47 -4 36
10. Hearts 27 7 9 11 27 37 -10 30
11. St. Mirren 27 7 8 12 33 45 -12 29
12. Dundee 26 3 5 18 14 46 -32 14