Inverness CT 1 - 0 Celtic

League Match
Saturday, August 23rd, 2014, 12:30 PM at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium
Attendance: 5,862
Referee: Bobby Madden
Inverness CT  Celtic

Eoghan O-Connell (o.g.) (65)

Team Managers
John Hughes Ronnie Deila

Starting Eleven
Dean Brill
Josh Meekings
Gary Warren
David Raven
Graeme Shinnie
Greg Tansey
Ross Draper
Ryan Christie
Danny Williams
Marley Watkins
Billy Mckay
Lukasz Zaluska
Efe Ambrose
Eoghan O-Connell
Charlie Mulgrew
Dylan McGeouch
Liam Henderson
Nir Biton
Filip Twardzik
Kris Commons
Leigh Griffiths
Teemu Pukki

Ryan Esson
Carl Tremarco
Nick Ross
Aaron Doran
Liam Polworth
Lewis Horner
Leonardo Fasan
Jason Denayer
Anthony Stokes
Jo Inge Berget
Stefan Johansen
Beram Kayal
Callum McGregor

Nick Ross for Ryan Christie (78)
Liam Polworth for Billy Mckay (79)
Aaron Doran for Marley Watkins (89)
Stefan Johansen -> Filip Twardzik (46)
Callum McGregor -> Teemu Pukki (46)
Anthony Stokes -> Leigh Griffiths (67)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dean Brill (GK) 49 apps -
Josh Meekings 108 apps -
David Raven 79 apps1 goal
Gary Warren 82 apps9 goals
Greg Tansey 64 apps9 goals
Danny Williams 28 apps1 goal
Marley Watkins 37 apps1 goal
Ross Draper 85 apps7 goals
Ryan Christie 21 apps4 goals
Graeme Shinnie 148 apps5 goals
Billy Mckay 119 apps53 goals
Liam Polworth (sub) 29 apps1 goal
Aaron Doran (sub) 118 apps15 goals
Nick Ross (sub) 147 apps11 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Ryan Christie (19 years 184 days)
Oldest Player:Josh Meekings (2016 years 25 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 70 days
Domestic Players:7 (63.64 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ryan Christie (19 years 184 days)
Oldest Player:Josh Meekings (2016 years 25 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 13 days
Domestic Players:11 (64.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


Bhoys Own Goal:

Inverness kept their clean sheet intact and thanks to an own goal from Eoghan O'Connell managed to deservedly keep all three points in the Highlands despite enduring a late push from the visitors which had the home fans watching the clock for the final ten minutes.

James Vincent failed to make the squad and Hughes went with the same eleven that started at Motherwell. Celtic, as expected, made wholesale changes to their team and Deila had ten changes from his midweek starters at Maribor. In saying that, they still had the likes of Ambrose, Mulgrew, Commons and Griffiths on the park.

Inverness started briskly moving the ball around with precision to frustrate the visitors and restrict them to chasing shadows for the first fifteen minutes. Zaluska had a rare start for the Hoops and looked a little edgy early on flapping at one or two crosses as Inverness controlled the pace of the game and lurked with intention around the visitors box. However, despite early dominance, opportunities were not forthcoming and Celtic eased themselves into the game.

Tansey tried his luck from distance twice but could not get enough swerve on the ball and it whistled a yard wide of either post as Inverness probed for an opening.

The first action for either keeper came at the North Stand end when Brill tipped a dipping Ambrose guided effort over the bar. He would be called into action more frequently as the half wore on and when Pukki darted into the box he bravely blocked two angled strikes from the Celtic man who would have been better advised to shoot a stride or two earlier. The save of the match followed when Brill foiled Commons as he looked certain to score from around the penalty spot, but the big keeper stuck out an arm to divert the ball away from the goal.

Nir Bitton came closest to opening the scoring as Celtic enjoyed their best spell of the game. Turning just outside the box he wrapped his right foot round the ball only for it to cannon off the bar with Brill stranded. Close call for the hosts and it seemed to force Inverness to get to grips with the game once more. The last ten minutes of the half were more even and less eventful, although Mulgrew had to head a Warren effort away from goal.

Half Time 0-0

Celtic made a change at the break with Stefan Johansen replacing Filip Twardzik and soon after Callum McGregor replaced Teemu Pukki. The changes suited Inverness better as we asserted ourselves on the ball once more, Gary Warren headed over from six yards following a corner.

Griffiths broke clear on the left side but his low shot was easily gathered by Brill. That was just about Leigh's last act as Stokes replaced him soon after. For once Celtic managed to slice through the Inverness defence when Stokes slid a ball through the middle and Commons beat the offside trap but his shot was stifled by an outstretched Brill.

In 65 minutes Celtic scored the only goal of the game. Unfortunately for them, it was at the wrong end of the park. After a midfield battle, Marley Watkins broke forward at pace and his cross was arrowed into the box. The ever alert McKay was about to pounce on the ball but Zalukas got there first and his rushed clearance crashed into the hapless O'Connell and the ball bundled itself into the net for what will go down as an own goal, but caused by the persistence and pace of Watkins.

Ten minutes later and Ryan Christie almost snatched a second goal for Inverness as he shot from the edge of the box. Possibly the wrong option as he went for the narrow gap and his shot almost taking a coat of paint off the base of the post with the other side of the goal unguarded.

The game opened up again and as Celtic tried in vain to get back on level terms Inverness almost punished them with a swift break from defence. Williams had carried the ball forward and cut across the box where he squared the ball into the path of the incoming sub, Nick Ross. He met it on the run and was favourite to score but Zalukas pulled off a tremendous save to keep Celtic interested and keep the home fans on the edge of their seats.

Watkins left the field in the last minute to a standing ovation as the game went beyond Celtic.

Full Time 1-0

The pinnacle for Marley was a double spinning stepover dragback which entertained the crowd no end and he was my MotM with Brill a close second, saving the day when it looked like Celtic were beginning to get on top halfway through the first half. Make no bones about it. This was a thoroughly deserved win for Inverness and it keeps us on top of the table with no goals conceded after 508 minutes of football.

Match report written by tm4tj


Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Inverness CT 4 3 1 0 5 0 5 10
2. Hamilton Academical 4 3 0 1 5 3 2 9
3. Dundee Utd 4 3 0 1 7 7 0 9
4. Kilmarnock 4 2 1 1 5 4 1 7
5. Celtic 3 2 0 1 9 2 7 6
6. Dundee 4 1 3 0 3 2 1 6
7. St. Johnstone 4 2 0 2 3 5 -2 6
8. Partick Thistle 3 1 1 1 6 3 3 4
9. Aberdeen 4 1 1 2 4 6 -2 4
10. Motherwell 4 1 0 3 1 5 -4 3
11. St. Mirren 4 0 1 3 2 6 -4 1
12. Ross County 4 0 0 4 3 10 -7 0