Inverness CT 5 - 1 Stenhousemuir

League Cup - Rd 1
Saturday, August 2nd, 1997, 3:00 PM at Caledonian Stadium, Inverness
Attendance: 1,735
Referee: A. M. Roy
Inverness CT  Stenhousemuir

Charlie Christie (32)
Brian Thomson (pen.) (69)
Barry Wilson (80)
Brian Thomson (88)
Brian Thomson (90)
Henderson (13)

Team Managers
Steve Paterson Unknown.

Starting Eleven
Les Fridge
Richard Hastings
Iain MacArthur
Paul Cherry
Vetle Andersen
Charlie Christie
Davie Ross
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Iain Stewart
Brian Thomson

Ross Tokely
Marco De Barros
Wayne Addicoat

Ross Tokely for Davie Ross (65)
Marco De Barros for Ross Tokely (75)
Stewart => Christie (46)
Brown => Law (74)

Vetle Andersen (60)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Les Fridge (GK) 1 app (debut) -
Paul Cherry 38 apps2 goals
Richard Hastings 87 apps2 goals
Iain MacArthur 70 apps -
Vetle Andersen 1 app (debut) -
Mike Teasdale 67 apps5 goals
Charlie Christie 104 apps22 goals
Davie Ross 75 apps9 goals
Barry Wilson 36 apps6 goals
Iain Stewart 85 apps53 goals
Brian Thomson 52 apps17 goals
Ross Tokely (sub) 29 apps2 goals
Marco De Barros (sub) 23 apps1 goal

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (20 years 81 days)
Oldest Player:Vetle Andersen (33 years 112 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 267 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Wayne Addicoat (18 years 51 days)
Oldest Player:Vetle Andersen (33 years 112 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 15 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts
Les Fridge(Signed July 1st, 1997)
Vetle Andersen(Signed July 30th, 1997)


A Brian Thomson hat-trick sealed this victory although the final score flattered the home side.

In 2 minutes Iain Stewart hit the bar with a fierce shot but in 13 minutes Stenhousemuir took the lead. A defensive mix-up in the penalty area gave James Henderson an easy chance and he gratefully slipped the ball past Les Fridge.

In 32 minutes Charlie Christie equalised after beating 3 men and a neat 1-2 with Stewart. His 8 yard shot went in off the post to the relief of the home support. 10 minutes later Richard Hastings set Stewart up well but his 20 yard shot was touched past by Alexander. Just before half time a Stewart shot was scrambled off the line.

The Inverness side took control in the second half and went ahead in 69 minutes - a Thomson penalty after Barry Wilson was brought down on the edge of the box. With 10 minutes to go Wilson played a great 1-2 with Stewart and volleyed home number 3 from 18 yards. In the dying minutes Thomson completed his hat-trick. His second was an angled strike from 15 yards in 88 minutes and his third an 8 yard shot after a Paul Cherry header in the 90th minute.

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot