Motherwell 2 - 2 Inverness CT

(Lost 4 - 1 on pens.)
League Cup - Rd 2
Saturday, August 9th, 1997, 3:00 PM at Fir Park, Motherwell
Attendance: 4,247
Referee: Stuart Dougal
Motherwell Inverness CT

Falconer (16)
Coyle (22)
Brian Thomson (pen.) (55)
Wayne Addicoat (87)

Team Managers
Alex McLeish Steve Paterson

Starting Eleven
Les Fridge
Richard Hastings
Iain MacArthur
Paul Cherry
Vetle Andersen
Charlie Christie
Davie Ross
Mike Teasdale
Barry Wilson
Iain Stewart
Brian Thomson

Mike Noble
Marco De Barros
Wayne Addicoat

Ross => Denham (13)
Valakari => May (59)
Dorner => Resch (70)
Wayne Addicoat for Brian Thomson (83)
Marco De Barros for Davie Ross (83)
Mike Noble for Marco De Barros (97)

Coyne ( )
Ross ( )
Valakari ( )
Coyle ( )
Iain MacArthur (60)
Vetle Andersen (60)
Iain Stewart (60)
Barry Wilson (60)
Richard Hastings (60)
Wayne Addicoat (87)

Red Cards
Martin (103)
Davies (104)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Les Fridge (GK) 3 apps -
Paul Cherry 40 apps2 goals
Richard Hastings 89 apps2 goals
Iain MacArthur 72 apps -
Vetle Andersen 3 apps -
Davie Ross 77 apps9 goals
Barry Wilson 38 apps6 goals
Mike Teasdale 69 apps5 goals
Charlie Christie 106 apps22 goals
Iain Stewart 87 apps53 goals
Brian Thomson 54 apps19 goals
Mike Noble (sub) 109 apps3 goals
Marco De Barros (sub) 25 apps1 goal
Wayne Addicoat (sub) 17 apps2 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Richard Hastings (20 years 88 days)
Oldest Player:Vetle Andersen (33 years 119 days)
Average Player Age:28 years 274 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Wayne Addicoat (18 years 58 days)
Oldest Player:Vetle Andersen (33 years 119 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 356 days
Domestic Players:12 (85.71 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


A fantastic performance by the Inverness side. Motherwell looked to have the game sewn up after 22 minutes when they were two up. The first goal came in 16 minutes when Willie Falconer headed in a Billy Davies corner. 6 minutes later Owen Coyle added a second when he took a pass from the left and headed wide of Les Fridge.

The visitors came back well and were unlucky to go in at half-time two down. 10 minutes into the second half they earned a penalty when Charlie Christie was impeded in the box. Brian Thomson hammered home to make it 2-1.

In 64 minutes Tommy Coyne should have sealed it but his hook shot was tipped over by Fridge. In 71 minutes the Inverness side had a golden chance when Barry Wilson was through on Stevie Woods. He was caught in two minds but elected to go round the keeper and Woods took it off his feet.

With 3 minutes to go substitute Wayne Addicoat became an instant hero when he took an Iain Stewart pass, shrugged off two defenders and stroked the ball past Woods from 12 yards.

In extra time the visitors pressed and Motherwell began to lose the place. In a two minute spell they had two men sent off. Brian Martin for retaliation after a Barry Wilson foul and Billy Davies for voicing his anger at the first decision.

The Inverness side could not take advantage of their numerical superiority and, despite some late pressure on the Motherwell goal, the match went to penalties.

Owen Coyle and Iain Stewart scored to make it 1-1 but Motherwell eventually won 4-1. McMillan, Weir and Coyne scored for the home side while Noble and Hastings had their efforts saved. In the end the visitors took away nothing from this game except praise. 10 players were booked and 2 sent off - nobody will ever believe it was not a dirty game!

Match report written by Ian Broadfoot