Rangers 1 - 0 Inverness CT

League Cup - Rd2
Tuesday, September 16th, 2014, 7:45 PM at Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Attendance: 15,208
Referee: Crawford Allan
Rangers Inverness CT

Lewis Macleod (78) None.

Team Managers
Ally McCoist John Hughes

Starting Eleven
Steve Simonsen
Darren McGregor
Lee McCulloch
Bilel Mohsni
Lee Wallace
Fraser Aird
Ian Black
Nicky Law
Lewis Macleod
Nicky Clark
Kris Boyd
Dean Brill
Josh Meekings
Gary Warren
David Raven
Carl Tremarco
Aaron Doran
Liam Polworth
Greg Tansey
Danny Williams
Marley Watkins
Billy Mckay

Lee Robinson
Steven Smith
Jon Daly
David Templeton
Arnold Peralta
Dean Shiels
Marius Zaliukas
Ryan Esson
Daniel Devine
Nick Ross
Ryan Christie
Lewis Horner

Jon Daly -> Kris Boyd (71)
David Templeton -> Fraser Aird (72)
Ryan Christie for Danny Williams (72)

Ian Black (25)
Lewis Macleod (43)
Aaron Doran (29)
Greg Tansey (41)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Dean Brill (GK) 52 apps -
David Raven 82 apps1 goal
Gary Warren 84 apps9 goals
Carl Tremarco 25 apps -
Josh Meekings 111 apps -
Marley Watkins 40 apps1 goal
Aaron Doran 121 apps17 goals
Greg Tansey 67 apps10 goals
Danny Williams 31 apps1 goal
Liam Polworth 31 apps1 goal
Billy Mckay 122 apps53 goals
Ryan Christie (sub) 24 apps4 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Liam Polworth (19 years 344 days)
Oldest Player:Danny Williams (2016 years 49 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 117 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Ryan Christie (19 years 208 days)
Oldest Player:Josh Meekings (2016 years 49 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 284 days
Domestic Players:10 (62.50 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts


No Cup Run For ICT:

Two days to go in the Yes No and the Union Jacks were out in full force at Ibrox. Many Bluenoses had disguised themselves as plastic seats as the game kicked off. As suggested, Ross Draper and Graeme Shinnie were suspended and Liam Polworth and Carl Tremarco filled the gaps with Ryan Christie resting on the bench, his place taken by Danny Williams.

The Rangers fielded the same team that crushed Raith Rovers, which meant that Jon Daly and David Templeton were on the bench.

Inverness were comfortable to play a containing game and keep the ball away from the home side which seemed to be working well in the early stages.

If I'm honest, it was an instantly forgettable first half of few opportunities. Kris Boyd probably had the best chance when after Inverness lost the ball in midfield, he found himself one-on-one with Dean Brill, but the big keeper stuck out a leg to block the ball and the chance was gone.

As forgettable as the game was, it was also interesting as Inverness frustrated The Rangers for long spells and our best chance of note saw Watkins latch onto a ball as he ran towards the box but his effort was easily stopped by Simonsen.

Half Time 0-0

The second period began with Inverness keeping good possession and Tansey had a long range shot saved in the top corner. Mohsni almost got in a fankle as he dithered on the ball, losing concentration allowing Watkins to almost find a way through, as he clipped a ball to McKay who was also losing interest in the move, but it was just out of the strikers reach.

It was Inverness who were controlling the pace of the game with the Ibrox club chasing shadows, but as the score remained goalless, then the game was finely poised with The Rangers relying on breakouts from defence.

Midway through the half and still neither side were able to make the breakthrough, Inverness mopping up any sporadic attacks comfortably and forcing The Rangers into changing their plans. They did this by bringing on Templeton and Daly for Boyd and Aird in a double substitution, putting their cards on the table . Inverness reacted by bringing on Ryan Christie for Williams.

Templeton hit a rasping shot from the left corner and Inverness never heeded the warning as The Blues attacking intent became clear and a loose ball fell to Macleod whose shot was wickedly deflected behind Brill for the opener.

Inverness responded by forcing Simonsen into action, saving from McKay, with the game hotting up and at the other end Brill gathered a header from Daly with ease.

Inverness now had to throw caution to the wind and almost paid the price as Templeton surged forward, after Watkins appeared to be tripped outside The Rangers penalty box, but Brill managed to claw the ball away superbly.

A long range effort from Tansey trundled wide as the game slipped away from last seasons beaten finalists, the game now raging from end to end.

Another superb save from Brill as Black struck from outside the box and Inverness went up the other end, McKay winning a corner which was wasted as the game entered the last couple of minutes.

Mohsni gave away a free kick in the last minute but again the wee team held on as Black cleared off the line from Christie and a Warren headed 'goal' was ruled out, the cup shock was still on.

Despite Inverness' best efforts, it was all too little too late and they could not take the game to extra time as the referee blew for full time to end the ICT interest in the competition for this season.

Dean Brill did his best to keep out a keen Ibrox side and it took a wicked deflection off Meekings to beat him and he is my MotM.

Full Time 1-0

So there you go, cup shock at Ibrox as Championship side go into the next round at the expense of Premiership challengers. Four bookings in a game that took a while to ignite and a miserable crowd for Ibrox that won't best please the accountants.

Match report written by tm4tj