Kilmarnock 4 - 3 Inverness CT

League Match
Saturday, April 28th, 2012, 3:00 PM at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Attendance: 3,848
Referee: George Salmond
Kilmarnock Inverness CT

James Fowler (14)
Michael Nelson (66)
Dean Shiels (80)
Dean Shiels (85)
Billy Mckay (29)
Billy Mckay (34)
Steve Williams (89)

Team Managers
Kenny Shiels Terry Butcher

Starting Eleven
Cameron Bell
James Fowler
Michael Nelson
Ryan O'Leary
Ben Gordon
Lewis Toshney
Gary Harkins
Dean Shiels
Danny Racchi
James Dayton
Liam Kelly
Ryan Esson
Ross Tokely
Josh Meekings
Steve Williams
Johnny Hayes
Graeme Shinnie
Aaron Doran
Greg Tansey
Owain Tudur Jones
Richie Foran
Billy Mckay

Kyle Letheren
Alex Pursehouse
Ross Barbour
Jude Winchester
Lee Johnson
Dieter Van Tornhout
William Gross
Jonny Tuffey
Kenny Gillet
Roman Golobart
Nick Ross
Andrew Shinnie
Shane Sutherland
Gregory Tade

Dieter Van Tornhout => James Dayton (58)
William Gross => Gary Harkins (58)
Jude Winchester => Ryan O'Leary (79)
Roman Golobart for Aaron Doran (74)
Gregory Tade for Billy Mckay (85)

Ben Gordon (36) Johnny Hayes (41)
Aaron Doran (64)

Red Cards
None. Johnny Hayes (58)
Appearances & Goals To Date
Ryan Esson (GK) 138 apps -
Ross Tokely 587 apps36 goals
Steve Williams 8 apps2 goals
Josh Meekings 19 apps -
Graeme Shinnie 53 apps1 goal
Greg Tansey 36 apps4 goals
Johnny Hayes 99 apps24 goals
Aaron Doran 26 apps3 goals
Owain Tudur Jones 14 apps -
Billy Mckay 21 apps3 goals
Richie Foran 131 apps29 goals
Roman Golobart (sub) 24 apps2 goals
Gregory Tade (sub) 37 apps9 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Aaron Doran (20 years 356 days)
Oldest Player:Josh Meekings (2013 years 273 days)
Average Player Age:26 years 222 days
Domestic Players:9 (81.82 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Roman Golobart (20 years 43 days)
Oldest Player:Josh Meekings (2013 years 273 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 119 days
Domestic Players:16 (88.89 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts



A football match was played out at Rugby Park on Saturday and although it was an entertaining game, it paled into insignificance in view of the sad incident where an Inverness fan collapsed and died in the Frank Beattie Stand midway through the second half, despite frantic efforts by a doctor and medical staff to revive him.

Fans could not help but be drawn towards the incident occurring a few yards in front of them and the result of the game was far from those that unfortunately witnessed this tragedy. He was later named as Mr John McDonald, an Inverness fan from Milngavie and the thoughts and prayers of everyone are with his family and friends.

Chris Hogg touched on the word perspective in his blog about his rehabilitation after injury, and this could not be more appropriate given the circumstances on this day. The result of the game was the last thing on the minds of the Inverness support and this haunting memory will stay with those at Rugby park forever. RIP John.

The size of the crowd could be judged by the low turn out at the Hunting Lodge, three hardy souls had made the effort, but they were rewarded with a heartening display by the visitors and before half time we had pushed our noses in front. However, shooting ourselves in the foot has definitely become a popular sport in the Highlands, Inverness anyway, and we were the architects of our own downfall as Jonny Hayes saw red and Killie took full advantage of the extra man to win a thrilling game by the odd goal in seven.

It was good to see that Billy McKay had found his shooting boots with a brace and Steve Williams slotted a late one, but Killie made good use of the extra man and eventually overcame the depleted Inverness men who battled hard for a point they would have deserved.

Capital Caley attended the game and his thoughts are below to give you a flavour of how it all happened.

The result on Saturday was completely insignificant after the death of a Caley Thistle fan amongst the away fans mid way through the second half. My thoughts are with his family.

Caley Thistle should have won this game. They were on course to win until Jonny Hayes was shown a red card for his second reckless challenge of the match. It was Hayes who nearly opened the scoring for Caley Thistle after 5 minutes but his shot skimmed the outside of the post. Kilmarnock were the first to open the scoring after 14 minutes with a Danny Racchis shot on target leading to the goal. Esson saved and it fell to James Fowler who netted with ease. Now I’m no goalkeeping expert but I did feel at the time that Esson could have held it. Video footage may prove me wrong however!

Killie seemed to be playing the better football during the first quarter and were making the Caley Thistle defence work hard. A James Dayton shot from the edge of the box went just wide on the 25th minute as Caley Thistle struggled to get into the match. However, just before the half hour mark, Billy McKay netted the equaliser for Caley Thistle. Hayes' cross found Greg Tansey who’s shot rebounded to Richie Foran who passed to McKay who then slotted home.

Caley Thistle then had the momentum. Within 6 minutes McKay doubled the Caley Thistle lead with another Hayes cross finding him before heading the ball across the line. With 5 minutes before half time, Hayes picked up his first booking for a challenge on James Fowler. It may have seemed slightly harsh but many referees will give a booking for that now adays. Caley Thistle went into the break at half time with the 2-1 lead and all the momentum after a great second part of the first half.

Half Time 1-2

From the start of the second half, after various opportunities we could still not improve on our lead. I must say that there were no sitters and fault cannot be attributed to any player regarding missed chances. It was more to do with being genuinely unlucky. Greg Tansey had the first chance of the second half but Cammy Bell saved well. About 10 minutes into the second half, Hayes nearly got Caley Thistles third goal but went agonisingly wide. A string of chances then followed and the wood work saved Kilmarnock again.

Everything was going Caley Thistles way and it looked like it was going to be only a matter of time before we scored a third goal. Hayes was having a great game until his moment of madness in the 58th minute. His rash challenge on Ben Gordon left the referee no other option but to show Hayes his second yellow and then red. From there, everything fell apart. Kilmarnock seemed to take a huge confidence boost from the loss of Hayes and attacked the Caley Thistle goal.

Dean Shiels crossed in a wonderful corner that found the head of Michael Nelson as he all too easily scored Killies equaliser. Roman Golobart then came on for Aaran Doran who had a very impressive game. Unfortunately although it seemed sensible to shore up the defence, Caley Thistle were still unable to prevent Killie from scoring more. Shiels then put Kilmarnock into the lead on the 80th minute. His shot across the box didn’t look like it was going in however it was impossible for Graeme Shinnie to get out of the way and he turned the ball into his own net. Of course, Roman Golobart will be claiming it to add to his goal tally! Killie then went 4-2 up when William Gros passed to Shiels who slotted the ball past Esson. The brief introduction of Gregory Tade with a few minutes to go wasn’t enough to muster an equaliser but Caley Thistle came back into the game with 1 minute to play. Richie Foran crossed in and Steve Williams nudged the ball across the goal line. There was time for one final attack from Caley Thistle but we couldn’t get the break in front of goal.

Overall, it was a very entertaining game where Caley Thistle looked set for victory until the red card. Another defeat, but no shame in the performance. However, the terribly sad events in the stand puts the game into perspective.

Match report written by tm4tj/capital caley

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Celtic 34 27 3 4 75 22 53 84
2. Rangers 34 24 4 6 68 25 43 76
3. Motherwell 35 17 7 11 50 42 8 58
4. Dundee Utd 35 14 11 10 59 45 14 53
5. St. Johnstone 35 14 8 13 43 43 0 50
6. Hearts 35 14 7 14 43 37 6 49
7. Kilmarnock 35 10 13 12 41 57 -16 43
8. Aberdeen 35 9 12 14 34 41 -7 39
9. St. Mirren 34 7 15 12 36 50 -14 36
10. Inverness CT 35 8 8 19 39 60 -21 32
11. Hibernian 34 6 9 19 34 63 -29 27
12. Dunfermline 35 5 9 21 39 76 -37 24