Raith Rovers 2 - 2 Inverness CT

League Match
Saturday, January 28th, 2023, 3:00 PM at Starks Park, Kirkaldy
Attendance: 2,025
Referee: Scott Lambie
Raith Rovers Inverness CT

Lewis Vaughan (29)
Aidan Connolly (62)
Jay Henderson (49)
Billy Mckay (83)

Team Managers
Ian Murray Billy Dodds

Starting Eleven
Jamie Macdonald
Ross Millen
Tom Lang
Ryan Nolan
Liam Dick
Scott Brown
Brad Spencer
Aidan Connolly
Lewis Vaughan
Dylan Easton
Jamie Gullan
Mark Ridgers
Wallace Duffy
Zak Delaney
Daniel Devine
Sean Welsh
David Carson
Lewis Hyde
Aaron Doran
Daniel Mackay
Jay Henderson
Billy Mckay

Connor McBride
Andy McNeil
Kieran Ngwenya
Sam Stanton
William Akio
Scott McGill
Keiran Mitchell
Adam Masson
John Frederiksen
Cameron Mackay
Lewis Nicolson
Cameron Harper
Matthew Strachan
Robbie Thompson
Scott Allardice
Ethan Cairns
Nathan Shaw
Steven Boyd

William Akio -> Jamie Gullan (71)
Sam Stanton -> Dylan Easton (77)
Connor McBride -> Lewis Vaughan (87)
Nathan Shaw for Daniel Mackay (66)
Scott Allardice for Lewis Hyde (66)
Steven Boyd for Aaron Doran (81)
Cameron Harper for Zak Delaney (81)
Lewis Nicolson for Jay Henderson (87)

Scott Brown (58) Sean Welsh (37)
Zak Delaney (71)

Red Cards
None. None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Ridgers (GK) 218 apps -
Daniel Devine 165 apps6 goals
Wallace Duffy 60 apps3 goals
Zak Delaney 25 apps -
Aaron Doran 356 apps53 goals
Sean Welsh 118 apps13 goals
David Carson 122 apps1 goal
Lewis Hyde 37 apps -
Daniel Mackay 81 apps14 goals
Billy Mckay 228 apps92 goals
Jay Henderson 4 apps2 goals
Cameron Harper (sub) 100 apps7 goals
Lewis Nicolson (sub) 8 apps2 goals
Scott Allardice (sub) 81 apps4 goals
Steven Boyd (sub) 28 apps1 goal
Nathan Shaw (sub) 25 apps5 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Lewis Hyde (20 years 202 days)
Oldest Player:Billy Mckay (34 years 106 days)
Average Player Age:27 years 12 days
Domestic Players:6 (54.55 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Matthew Strachan (17 years 243 days)
Oldest Player:Billy Mckay (34 years 106 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 145 days
Domestic Players:14 (70.00 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Cameron Harper played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

The last time Raith Rovers beat us at Stark's Park, it was jumpers for goalposts, three corners a penalty, Donview and Mantis had cranial hair and Groovejet by Spiller featuring Sophie Ellis Bextor topped the charts. Well, are we still waiting? Yes we are and here's why.

Jamie Gullan saw an early header come off the crossbar as the hosts bossed the early pace of the game. Lewis Vaughan opened the scoring on the half hour after a period of home pressure when the ball fell to him outside the box after a succession of corners and he shot low beyond Ridgers. Inverness would need to up their game if they wanted to preserve that record. Jay Henderson levelled the game shortly after the break scoring from a tight angle. Unfortunately for Inverness Aidan Connolly restored their advantage with an hour gone. Scott Allardice returned to action after months out and after a couple of near things for Raith, Billy Mckay popped up to level the game once more seven minutes from the end with a header from a Sean Welsh free kick. That's how it ended and the wait goes on for Raith Rovers fans.

With George Oakley off to Morton, Dodds had more space to fill on the bench and back into the frame came long term injured Scott Allardice and Cammy Harper. New signing Ben Woods was missing and still no sign of Austin Samuels. Raith had loan signings midfielder Scott MacGill from Hearts and forward William Akio from Ross County in their squad.

Raith got the game underway and were first to show but Mark Ridgers gathered Lewis Vaughan's effort comfortably in the fourth minute. Jamie Gullan headed off the crossbar a couple of minutes later and the follow up by Dylan Easton was blocked as the hosts made a bright start. Daniel Mackay brought Jamie MacDonald into action as Inverness came out of their defensive shell with fifteen minutes on the clock and Billy Mckay was also denied by the keeper moments later as he tried to clip the ball past MacDonald. Gullan took a knock in a clash with Ridgers and Nolan had some treatment soon after. Raith forced a series of corners and the opener came through Lewis Vaughan who shot home from distance outside the box into the bottom corner.

Half Time: 1-0

It only took Inverness four minutes to do something about it after the interval when Jay Henderson levelled the game scoring from a tight angle. However Aidan Connolly put Raith back in front on the hour with a curling shot into the top corner. Scott Allardice made a welcome return to action replacing Lewis Hyde soon after with Nathan Shaw replacing Dan Mackay as we looked to rescue something from the game. Billy Mckay showed his defensive qualities clearing the ball off the line to prevent a third for Raith and substitute William Akio was denied by Ridgers as the hosts looked to kill off the game. Mckay preserved the record with a headed goal from Sean Welsh's free kick and Raith's Brown headed over in injury time to ensure it ended all square at 2-2.

Full Time: 2-2

Billy Mckay not only scored his 91st goal for Inverness and fifth since the turn of the year but also made a valuable contribution at the back clearing off the line. Jay Henderson scored his second goal in four games since coming in on loan from St Mirren and it was tremendous to have Scott Allardice back on the pitch after a lengthy lay-off through injury.

A decent point given Raith's recent resurgence and another game on our road to recovery as well.

Match report written by tm4tj

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Queens Park 22 12 4 6 44 30 14 40
2. Ayr United 22 11 6 5 46 29 17 39
3. Dundee 21 11 5 5 36 25 11 38
4. Partick Thistle 22 10 3 9 42 37 5 33
5. Inverness CT 22 8 7 7 32 30 2 31
6. Morton 21 8 6 7 29 24 5 30
7. Raith Rovers 23 8 6 9 30 31 -1 30
8. Cove Rangers 22 5 7 10 30 47 -17 22
9. Arbroath 23 4 9 10 22 37 -15 21
10. Hamilton Academical 22 4 5 13 18 39 -21 17