Morton 2 - 2 Inverness CT

League - Championship
Wednesday, January 27th, 2021, 7:30 PM at Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: Peter Stuart
Morton Inverness CT

Sean McGinty (3)
Cameron Blues (66)
Shane Sutherland (4)
Daniel Mackay (15)

Team Managers
Anton McElhone John Robertson

Starting Eleven
Aiden McAdams
Michael Ledger
Markus Fjortoft
Sean McGinty
Lewis Strapp
Cameron Blues
Rabin Omar
Craig McGuffie
Aiden Nesbitt
Luca Colville
Gary Oliver
Mark Ridgers
Cameron Harper
Robbie Deas
Wallace Duffy
Daniel Devine
Sean Welsh
Scott Allardice
Aaron Doran
James Vincent
Daniel Mackay
Shane Sutherland

Brian Mclean
Chris Millar
Jim McAllister
Robbie Muirhead
Kalvin Orsi
Cameron Salkeld
Reece Lyon
Cameron Mackay
Harry Nicolson
David Carson
Lewis Hyde
Roddy MacGregor
Nikolay Todorov
James Keatings

Chris Millar -> Craig McGuffie (63)
Reece Lyon -> Cameron Blues (70)
Cameron Salkeld -> Gary Oliver (79)
James Keatings for Aaron Doran (70)
Nikolay Todorov for Scott Allardice (70)
Roddy MacGregor for Daniel Mackay (83)

Rabin Omar (19)
Gary Oliver (74)

Red Cards
Rabin Omar (28) None.
Appearances & Goals To Date
Mark Ridgers (GK) 137 apps -
Cameron Harper 23 apps -
Robbie Deas 14 apps1 goal
Daniel Devine 95 apps4 goals
Wallace Duffy 8 apps -
Sean Welsh 51 apps7 goals
Scott Allardice 14 apps2 goals
Aaron Doran 288 apps48 goals
James Vincent 102 apps7 goals
Daniel Mackay 37 apps5 goals
Shane Sutherland 100 apps6 goals
Roddy MacGregor (sub) 40 apps2 goals
James Keatings (sub) 42 apps10 goals
Nikolay Todorov (sub) 44 apps10 goals

Starting Lineup
Youngest Player:Cameron Harper (19 years 83 days)
Oldest Player:James Vincent (31 years 130 days)
Average Player Age:25 years 357 days
Domestic Players:8 (72.73 % of starting eleven)

Matchday Squad
Youngest Player:Lewis Hyde (18 years 201 days)
Oldest Player:James Vincent (31 years 130 days)
Average Player Age:24 years 233 days
Domestic Players:13 (72.22 % of matchday squad)

First Team Debuts

Shane Sutherland played his 100th major competitive game for the Club.

Ten man Ton grab a point:

An early goal from Sean McGinty was cancelled out in the fourth minute by a Shane Sutherland strike. Daniel Mackay put the visitors ahead after fifteen minutes. Morton were reduced to ten men with half an hour gone after Rabin Omar stopped a break forward and picked up a second yellow. That seemed to spur Morton on and they had a 'goal' chalked off for climbing ten minutes before the break. no surprise when Morton grabbed a share of the points when Cameron Blue knocked home after sterling work by Gary Oliver. No more scoring and a couple of points missed out on by Inverness against ten men for over half a game.

After a prolonged break for various reasons, the Caley Jags played their first game since drawing with Dunfermline on 29th December 2020. The enforced lay-off meant that our match sharpness would be questioned by a Morton side that have played three games since then, drawing twice and losing their last outing at Palmerston.

It was an early kick-off at Cappielow, 6:30pm with live streaming available from Morton TV.

Miles Storey was one of the players who failed to make it and Brad Mckay was nowhere to be seen either. Daniel Mackay getting a rare start and Wallace Duffy returning to right back with Brad out. David Carson was on the bench along with regulars James Keatings, Nikolay Todorov and Roddy Macgregor.

Anton McElhone had Orsi, Salkeld, Lyon and McAlister on the bench with McGuffie, Oliver and Omar stating tonight.

The winter weather looked to have taken it's toll on the Cappielow turf, some areas looking heavy before a ball was kicked in earnest.

We didn't have long to wait for the opening goal as Sean McGinty fired high into the net with only three minutes on the clock.

The visitors replied immediately, if not sooner when Shane Sutherland slotted home a minute later.

Daniel Mackay then put Inverness ahead with a fine finish after a through ball from Aaron Doran, easing round the keeper to score neatly.

Disaster for Ton after twenty-eight minutes when Rabin Omar stopped Sutherland bursting forward in the middle of the park and picked up his second yellow card of the night. He was sent packing for his troubles.

That seemed to inject some urgency into the hosts and from a corner Morton McGinty had the ball in the net again but climbing was deemed to have occurred and the Inverness defence breathed a sigh of relief.

Robbie Deas saw a shot saved as the Caley Jags looked for a cushion before the break, and just before the interval it was Morton that were sighing as Inverness had a 'goal' ruled out as well.

Half Time 1-2

No changes at the break and five minutes in Morton survived a penalty claim when it looked like an arm was used to bring the ball under control in the box. Referee Stuart saw it as accidental after a long hard look at the incident.

With heavy drizzle dampening the occasion errors were always going to be a danger.

A long throw in from Strapp was returned to him and he launched a fierce shot that fizzed over the bar.

An Inverness corner caused some concern in the home box but it was scrambled clear by the defence before Sutherland found himself shooting from an offside position.

Morton almost levelled from a set piece when a Nesbitt free kick to the back post was knocked back almost onto the goal line, and with our defence ball watching Ledger tried to force it home. It was scrambled clear and when we eventually made our way to the far end Sean Welsh rasped a long range shot over the bar.

Both keepers made routine saves thereafter before Sutherland made a hash of striking goalwards from a good position on the right side.

Plenty of life still in Morton as we looked uncomfortable dealing with balls into the box. No sooner said than done! A good burst forward by Gary Oliver saw Cameron Blues knock the ball home from his cross eight yards out.

Twelve minutes to go and a dribbler of a shot from Sutherland is cleared from the Morton line and substitute James Keatings' follow up volley is cleared.

Morton are working so hard it's difficult to know if they have actually had a man sent off.

A lung bursting run from Lyon allowed Strapp to cause more havoc in our defence as Morton looked to get a winner with five minutes of the ninety left.

A late corner saw another one given as the clock passed ninety minutes but Morton clear well before Todorov appeared to miss a tap in as the ball bounced past him.

McAdams did well to tip a deflected cross come shot away for a corner which ended the contest in a draw after more climbing at the back post was penalised.

Full Time 2-2

A couple of points dropped against the ten men as we managed to get on a pitch for the first time in a month.

Good to get amongst the goals but we looked vulnerable when Morton came forward. Maybe conditions and the lay off played a part but there's no rest for the wicked as Queen of the South come North at the weekend

Match report written by tm4tj

Pld W D L F A +/- Pts
1. Hearts 13 10 0 3 39 17 22 30
2. Dunfermline 12 5 6 1 20 13 7 21
3. Dundee 12 5 5 2 23 21 2 20
4. Raith Rovers 11 5 3 3 24 17 7 18
5. Morton 13 4 5 4 13 17 -4 17
6. Ayr United 12 3 5 4 16 16 0 14
7. Queen of the South 13 4 2 7 19 30 -11 14
8. Inverness CT 10 3 4 3 17 14 3 13
9. Alloa Athletic 12 2 2 8 12 28 -16 8
10. Arbroath 12 1 4 7 8 18 -10 7